Deal alert: Flights to Southeast Asia from $478 round-trip
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Have you been dreaming of visiting Southeast Asia, but the prices just haven’t been quite right? Well, now’s your time to book travel because flights to the region have dropped as low as $478 round-trip.
Most of these fares are available well into 2020, which is good news for travelers because that’s the region’s dry season, when the chance of rain is much lower than during summertime in the US.
You will have to pay extra for checked baggage on all of the airlines, but you will be allowed a free carry-on.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airlines: China Southern, United, Asiana
Routes: JFK/LAX/SFO/IAH/SEA/ORD to KUL/BKK/MNL/CGK/SGN
Cost: $478+ round-trip in basic economy
Travel Dates: October 2019 – May 2020 depending on route
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline or ) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) for $478 round-trip on China Southern:
New York (JFK) to Bangkok (BKK) for $481 round-trip on China Southern:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) for $515 round-trip on United:
San Francisco (SFO) to Manila (MNL) for $523 round-trip on Asiana:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Jakarta (CGK) for $527 round-trip on United:
Houston (IAH) to Bangkok (BKK) for $537 round-trip when booked through Travel2Be:
Seattle (SEA) to Jakarta (CGK) for $556 round-trip on United:
Chicago (ORD) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) for $559 round-trip on United:
Seattle (SEA) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) for $570 round-trip on United:
New York (JFK) to Jakarta (CGK) for $582 round-trip on China Southern:
San Francisco (SFO) to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) for $582 round-trip on Asiana:
Chicago (ORD) to Bangkok (BKK) for $515 round-trip on United:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
(Featured photo by Liz Hund/The Points Guy)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.