This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Have you been dreaming of visiting Southeast Asia, but the prices just haven’t been quite right? Well, now’s your time to book travel because flights to the region have dropped as low as $478 round-trip.
Most of these fares are available well into 2020, which is good news for travelers because that’s the region’s dry season, when the chance of rain is much lower than during summertime in the US.
You will have to pay extra for checked baggage on all of the airlines, but you will be allowed a free carry-on.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airlines: China Southern, United, Asiana
Routes: JFK/LAX/SFO/IAH/SEA/ORD to KUL/BKK/MNL/CGK/SGN
Cost: $478+ round-trip in basic economy
Travel Dates: October 2019 – May 2020 depending on route
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier℠ Card (3x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline or ) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) for $478 round-trip on China Southern:
New York (JFK) to Bangkok (BKK) for $481 round-trip on China Southern:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) for $515 round-trip on United:
San Francisco (SFO) to Manila (MNL) for $523 round-trip on Asiana:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Jakarta (CGK) for $527 round-trip on United:
Houston (IAH) to Bangkok (BKK) for $537 round-trip when booked through Travel2Be:
Seattle (SEA) to Jakarta (CGK) for $556 round-trip on United:
Chicago (ORD) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) for $559 round-trip on United:
Seattle (SEA) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) for $570 round-trip on United:
New York (JFK) to Jakarta (CGK) for $582 round-trip on China Southern:
San Francisco (SFO) to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) for $582 round-trip on Asiana:
Chicago (ORD) to Bangkok (BKK) for $515 round-trip on United:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier℠ Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
(Featured photo by Liz Hund/The Points Guy)
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees