Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
We are seeing great deals to Southeast Asia today — on top-notch ANA as well as extraordinarily low fares on mainline airlines. While we don’t typically post these deals, these options are all one-stop itineraries and on airlines that partner with US-based airlines. So, if you’re running a little behind on re-qualifying for elite status, you might want to do a mileage run on one of these.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA such as Priceline or Expedia.
Airlines: China Eastern, Air China, ANA, Asiana
Routes: LAX/JFK/SFO/ORD to BKK/SIN/SGN/MNL
Cost: $394+ round-trip in economy
Travel Dates: September – May 2019
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Premier Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Booking Link: Priceline, Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Bangkok (BKK) for $394 round-trip on China Eastern — credit to Delta SkyMiles for 100% MQM and 5% MQD:
New York’s Kennedy (JFK) to Singapore (SIN) for $459 round-trip on China Eastern — credit to Delta SkyMiles for 100% MQM and 5% MQD:
San Francisco (SFO) to Bangkok (BKK) for $479 round-trip on Air China — credit to United for 50% PQM and 25% award miles:
Chicago (ORD) to Bangkok (BKK) for $563 round-trip on ANA — credit to United for 100% PQM and 25% award miles:
Chicago (ORD) to Ho Chi Minh (SGN) for $563 round-trip on ANA — credit to United for 100% PQM and 25% award miles:
San Francisco (SFO) to Manila (MNL) for $574 round-trip on Asiana — credit to United for 50% PQM and 50% award miles:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by kasto80 via Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees