Deal Alert: Flights to South America From Just 12,000 Miles Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Delta has run nearly constant SkyMiles award sales over the last year, but it’s the unadvertised award sales where we can find the most value. And, one of those deals just popped up. As caught by Thrifty Traveler, Delta is currently running an unadvertised award sale to South America will rates as low as just 12,000 miles round-trip.
At current TPG valuations, 12,000 SkyMiles are worth just $144. Adding in taxes and fees starting at $82 and this is equivalent to scoring a $226 round-trip deal to South America. But, what’s especially valuable about these awards are that they book into the Main Cabin, not basic economy.
The cheapest rates found so far are from Florida gateways of Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and Orlando (MCO) with one stop through Atlanta to Bogota (BOG) for just 12,000 SkyMiles round-trip. However, there are cheap award rates from dozens of other cities to Bogota, Quito (UIO) and Lima (LIM) starting at 20,000 miles round-trip. We have rounded up some of the options below, but it’s probably worth just heading to Delta.com and searching from your home airport to one of these three South American destinations to check what you can book.
If you’re short on miles, remember that you can instantly transfer American Express Membership Rewards points into your SkyMiles account at 1:1 ratio.
Routes: FLL/MCO/RDU/BOS/AUS/ORD to BOG/UIO/LIM
Cost: 12,000+ Delta SkyMiles round-trip
Travel Dates: September 2019 to January 2020
Pay Taxes/Fees With: Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel plus travel protections) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel plus travel protections)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Bogota (BOG) 1-stop for 12,000 Delta SkyMiles + $82 round-trip in September:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Bogota (BOG) 1-stop for 12,000 Delta SkyMiles + $82 round-trip in November:
Orlando (MCO) to Bogota (BOG) 1-stop for 12,000 Delta SkyMiles + $82 round-trip in September:
Orlando (MCO) to Bogota (BOG) 1-stop for 13,000 Delta SkyMiles + $82 round-trip in November:
Raleigh/Durham (RDU) to Quito, Ecuador (UIO) 1-stop for 20,000 Delta SkyMiles + $103 round-trip:
Raleigh/Durham (RDU) to Bogota (BOG) 1-stop for 22,000 Delta SkyMiles + $82 round-trip:
Boston (BOS) to Bogota (BOG) 1-stop for 22,000 Delta SkyMiles + $82 round-trip:
Austin (AUS) to Quito (UIO) 1-stop for 26,000 Delta SkyMiles + $103 round-trip:
Chicago (ORD) to Quito (UIO) 1-stop for 28,000 Delta SkyMiles + $103 round-trip:
Boston (BOS) to Lima (LIM) 1-stop for 34,000 Delta SkyMiles + $73 round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
While we typically recommend using a credit card that maximizes your earnings on airfare purchases, the taxes and fees on these awards are so cheap that it’s worth focusing on the cards that offer excellent trip delay and cancellation insurance — such as the Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare) and the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you don’t have enough SkyMiles in your account, you can instantly transfer American Express Membership Rewards points to top off your account. But, for future deals, you may want to consider signing up for one of the Delta credit cards. For example, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express currently comes with a bonus of 30,000 bonus miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Terms Apply.
Featured image by Pintai Suchachaisri / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.