Deal Alert: Flights to South America From Just 12,000 Miles Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Delta has run nearly constant SkyMiles award sales over the last year, but it’s the unadvertised award sales where we can find the most value. And, one of those deals just popped up. As caught by Thrifty Traveler, Delta is currently running an unadvertised award sale to South America will rates as low as just 12,000 miles round-trip.
At current TPG valuations, 12,000 SkyMiles are worth just $144. Adding in taxes and fees starting at $82 and this is equivalent to scoring a $226 round-trip deal to South America. But, what’s especially valuable about these awards are that they book into the Main Cabin, not basic economy.
The cheapest rates found so far are from Florida gateways of Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and Orlando (MCO) with one stop through Atlanta to Bogota (BOG) for just 12,000 SkyMiles round-trip. However, there are cheap award rates from dozens of other cities to Bogota, Quito (UIO) and Lima (LIM) starting at 20,000 miles round-trip. We have rounded up some of the options below, but it’s probably worth just heading to Delta.com and searching from your home airport to one of these three South American destinations to check what you can book.
If you’re short on miles, remember that you can instantly transfer American Express Membership Rewards points into your SkyMiles account at 1:1 ratio.
Routes: FLL/MCO/RDU/BOS/AUS/ORD to BOG/UIO/LIM
Cost: 12,000+ Delta SkyMiles round-trip
Travel Dates: September 2019 to January 2020
Pay Taxes/Fees With: Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel plus travel protections) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel plus travel protections)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Bogota (BOG) 1-stop for 12,000 Delta SkyMiles + $82 round-trip in September:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Bogota (BOG) 1-stop for 12,000 Delta SkyMiles + $82 round-trip in November:
Orlando (MCO) to Bogota (BOG) 1-stop for 12,000 Delta SkyMiles + $82 round-trip in September:
Orlando (MCO) to Bogota (BOG) 1-stop for 13,000 Delta SkyMiles + $82 round-trip in November:
Raleigh/Durham (RDU) to Quito, Ecuador (UIO) 1-stop for 20,000 Delta SkyMiles + $103 round-trip:
Raleigh/Durham (RDU) to Bogota (BOG) 1-stop for 22,000 Delta SkyMiles + $82 round-trip:
Boston (BOS) to Bogota (BOG) 1-stop for 22,000 Delta SkyMiles + $82 round-trip:
Austin (AUS) to Quito (UIO) 1-stop for 26,000 Delta SkyMiles + $103 round-trip:
Chicago (ORD) to Quito (UIO) 1-stop for 28,000 Delta SkyMiles + $103 round-trip:
Boston (BOS) to Lima (LIM) 1-stop for 34,000 Delta SkyMiles + $73 round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
While we typically recommend using a credit card that maximizes your earnings on airfare purchases, the taxes and fees on these awards are so cheap that it’s worth focusing on the cards that offer excellent trip delay and cancellation insurance — such as the Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare) and the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you don’t have enough SkyMiles in your account, you can instantly transfer American Express Membership Rewards points to top off your account. But, for future deals, you may want to consider signing up for one of the Delta credit cards. For example, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express currently comes with a bonus of 30,000 bonus miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Terms Apply.
Featured image by Pintai Suchachaisri / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees