This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you’ve been in the market for a stellar deal to the French Polynesian islands, you’re in luck! Ever since United Airlines and French budget long-haul carrier French Bee began flying routes to Tahiti, costs have gone down as carriers have to compete more for business. French Bee is offering tickets from just $658 round-trip and nonstop from SFO, while SkyTeam partners Delta and Air France have some fall fares for a hair cheaper — as low as $656 round-trip with a brief stop at LAX.
Note that if you want to visit Bora Bora, you’ll have to buy a separate ticket through Air Tahiti, which will cost you an additional $500 or so round-trip.
Airline: French Bee, Air France/Delta
Routes: SFO to PPT
Cost: $656+ round-trip in economy
Dates: May-June 2018, October-December 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
San Francisco (SFO) to Tahiti (PPT) for $656 round-trip in November on Air France/Delta:
San Francisco (SFO) to Tahiti (PPT) for $659 nonstop round-trip in September on French Bee in basic economy:
San Francisco (SFO) to Tahiti (PPT) for $659 nonstop round-trip in October on French Bee in basic economy:
San Francisco (SFO) to Tahiti (PPT) for $674 round-trip in December (including Christmas!) on Air France/Delta:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured photo by levente bodo / Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees