Deal alert: Fly to Portugal for $368 round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Act fast because this deal isn’t projected to last for more than a day or two.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Scott’s Cheap Flights tipped us off to this great deal. Premium members pay $49 per year (with a 14-day free trial) to get deals up to 90% off. Members can also upgrade to Elite for $199 per year to get premium economy, business-class and first-class alerts.
Airline: Tap Air Portugal.
Routes: New York City, Newark, San Francisco and Washington, D.C., to Lisbon.
How to book: Search Google Flights then book directly with the airline.
Travel dates: This varies based on the originating airport. The best time for New York City-area flights is January to March. Washington, D.C.‘s most optimal prices have a longer season, from September to November and January to March. San Francisco prices dip from November to May.
Book by: ASAP. These deals aren’t projected to last more than one to two days.
Figuring out how to get the best deal may be tricky, so we’re rounding up the best travel dates with the cheapest flights.
The best flights in this deal depart from:
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), starting at $368.
- Dulles International Airport (IAD), starting at $368.
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO), starting at $380.
You have ample options from both EWR and JFK airports in New York City. The Google Flights calendar allows you to view which dates have the lowest prices. Select your travel dates on the calendar once you have decided when you wish to travel.
All flight options for the travel criteria entered then pop up. Select the flight of your choice.
Then you’ll see the sites available to book through, and the cost of tickets through each of those sites. TAP Air Portugal’s website is the most expensive option but may be worth the cost in case anything goes wrong.
For the sake of this story, we chose the Discount fare available from TAP. This option only includes a meal and carry-on luggage. It will cost an extra $95 each way to check a bag and $45 each way to choose your seat, so if those things are important to you, you may want to consider other fare options to get the best deal for you.
To proceed, select your option and click “Book these flights now.”
For those flying from San Francisco, note that routes are limited to a few times a month, but the deal is available at least four times a month from March to May.
Maximize your purchase
Using The Platinum Card® from American Express will get you 5 points per dollar on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year. You will get 3 points per dollar on airfare when using the Citi Premier® Card and Chase Sapphire Reserve. Getting a good deal and getting rewarded is a nice bonus that you can gain by having the right travel cards. When paying for other travel-related expenses, using the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card will get you 2 points per dollar spent.
We like the sound of ringing in the next season with a discounted trip to Portugal. Now may be the time to book if you agree. This deal won’t last long, and we don’t know when it will be back.
Featured photo by Sylvain Sonnet/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees