Deal Alert: New York to Madeira, Portugal, from $220 round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
You’ve heard of Madeira wine, maybe even had it before. But what if you could sip a glass while sitting on a terrace in Madeira?
TAP Portugal is going to give you the chance to answer that question firsthand, with plenty of spare cash left over for shipping home a case of wine. Prices from New York to Funchal, the biggest airport on the Portuguese islands in the middle of the Atlantic, are as low as $220. These prices are low enough that you could even shop for intra-Europe flight deals to make a grand tour of the continent if you wanted. Availability is widespread and seems to cover major holidays and most weekends from February through October 2020.
Even better, you can get two trips for the price of one: TAP Portugal offers stopovers in Lisbon or Porto for up to five days, free of charge. If you prefer to just pass through as quickly as possible, connection times are as short as an hour and 45 minutes.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an online travel agency such as Gotogate, Priceline or Expedia.
Airline: TAP Portugal
Routes: JFK/EWR to FNC
Cost: from $225 round-trip in economy
Dates: February — October 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier℠ Card (3x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Funchal (FNC) for $220 round-trip in March via Gotogate:
Featured photo by Getty Images
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.