Deal Alert: Nonstop Flights to Iceland From $145 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Iceland is one of my favorite places in the world because of its jaw-dropping natural beauty, and everyone should considering adding it to their bucket list.
The Icelandic ultra-low-cost carrier Wow Air made getting to the country incredibly easy due to its dirt-cheap fares. However its ridiculously low prices were one of the many reasons the carrier has cut most of its US routes over the last year. Wow is reportedly being rescued by an investment from Bill Franke who owns US budget airline Frontier.
The carrier is still operating four routes between the US and Iceland, and its selling super cheap tickets to the country, with prices starting from $145 round-trip. That’s cheaper than most short domestic hops! Just note that this only comes with a small personal item — you’ll have to pay extra for a large carry-on, checked bag, seat selection, etc. Still, there’s plenty of room for savings with prices like this.
Since Wow is still in a financial grey area, it’s important to know that if you do book these tickets, the airline may not be around in a few months’ time. That means book refundable accommodations and pay with a card that has trip cancellation insurance. If you’re more risk-averse, Icelandair has round-trip prices starting from $314.
As we’ve warned before, if you do nab one of these flights, make sure to put the purchase on a credit card with travel insurance — cards like the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Citi Prestige offer some of the best-in-class protections in case the airline goes belly up. Also, the European Union’s 261 rule requires airlines to get you to your final destination or refund you the cost of your ticket.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airlines: WOW Air, Icelandair
Routes: EWR/BOS/BWI/DTW to KEF
Cost: $145+ round-trip in economy
Travel Dates: March-June
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Citi Prestige (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Boston (BOS) to Reykjavik (KEF) for $145 round-trip nonstop on Wow Air:
Detroit (DTW) to Reykjavik (KEF) for $145 round-trip nonstop on Wow Air:
Newark (EWR) to Reykjavik (KEF) for $155 round-trip nonstop on Wow Air:
Baltimore (BWI) to Reykjavik (KEF) for $165 round-trip nonstop on Wow Air:
Newark (EWR) to Reykjavik (KEF) for $314 round-trip nonstop on Icelandair:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) American Express® Gold Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by @lalapieps via Twenty20.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees