Mexico deal alert: Fly to Cancun, Cozumel and San Jose del Cabo for less than $300
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Grab your sunscreen and get ready for some fun in the sun thanks to round-trip flights to Mexico for less than $300, many of which are nonstop.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Flights are available to Cancun (CUN), Cozumel (CZM) and San Jose del Cabo (SJD) — the latter is not to be confused with Cabo San Lucas, the other city in the pair that forms Los Cabos.
Airlines: Aeromexico, American, Delta, JetBlue and United.
Routes: DFW/LAX/MIA/JFK and others to CUN/CZM/SJD.
How to book: Directly through the airline.
Travel dates: January-March, with limited availability for the rest of the year.
Book by: N/A.
Today’s deal was originally sent out from Scott’s Cheap Flights, which sends deals up to 90% off via its Premium membership, which users can try for free for 14 days and then $49 per year. You can also upgrade to the Elite tier for $199 per year and receive all the Premium deals plus premium economy, business-class and first-class alerts.
Flights are available from many U.S. cities to the aforementioned three cities in Mexico, with particularly good deals out of Austin, Texas, and St. Louis:
To Cancun (CUN):
- From Austin (AUS), Dallas (DFW) and Miami (MIA), starting at $166.
- From St. Louis (STL), starting at $181.
- From Newark (EWR), starting at $196, nonstop.
- From New York City (JFK), starting at $198, nonstop.
- From Los Angeles (LAX), starting at $272, nonstop.
To San Jose del Cabo (SJD):
- From Austin (AUS) and Los Angeles (LAX), starting at $185.
- From New York City (JFK), starting at $253, nonstop.
- From Newark (EWR), starting at $267.
To Cozumel (CZM):
- From St. Louis (STL), starting at $226.
- From Kansas City, Missouri (MCI), starting at $228.
- From Washington, D.C. (DCA), starting at $264.
To search this deal, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and departure cities, as demonstrated below.
You’ll see that the flights in this deal are for basic economy, which does not include seat selection or priority boarding, and may not include a carry-on depending on the airline. In this case, passengers in AA’s basic economy are allotted one full-size carry-on but passengers in comparable classes on JetBlue and United are not. In that case, you may want to consider upgrading to economy, which costs between $50 and $100 each way — and don’t forget that checked luggage will be between $30 and $60 on all airlines.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5 points per dollar spent on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Prestige® Card (5 points per dollar spent on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3 points per dollar spent on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3 points per dollar spent on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2 points per dollar spent on travel). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
The featured deals reflect flights that are half of their normal price, so this is a good deal.
Note that Mexico recently implemented COVID-19 restrictions, so be sure to verify any rules beyond those that are countrywide.
Featured photo by Pola Damonte/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.