Deal Alert: Round-trip to the Maldives for as low as $818 through early 2022
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Dreaming of a Maldives vacation? Now might be the time to book.
Etihad Airways is offering round-trip flights from many major U.S. cities to the Maldives for under $850 round-trip in economy class. These tickets route through Etihad’s hub in Abu Dhabi (AUH), and cheap fares are available through March 2022, giving you a huge booking window to choose from. Better yet, the Maldives is open to American tourists so long as you bring a negative COVID test.
The deal was first spotted by Scott’s Cheap Flights this morning and — at the time of writing — is still available for booking. We see cheap flights available from all of Etihad’s U.S. gateways. Let’s take a closer look.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airlines: Etihad Airways
Routes: IAD/JFK/LAX/ORD to Male (MLE)
Cost: $818+ roundtrip
Dates: June 2021 through March 2022
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or via American Express Travel; on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel) for travel protections on the award flight.
You’ll find the cheapest flights from Los Angeles (LAX) to Male — round-trip flights start at just $818 on some dates. You may find that some itineraries are moderately more expensive on specific dates on all routes.
(Screenshot courtesy of Etihad Airways)
Those flying from New York-JFK can find flights starting at $831 round-trip.
Flights from Washington-Dulles (IAD) are a bit more expensive at $904 round-trip, but still a good deal compared to booking with other airlines.
Finally, flights from Chicago-O’Hare (ORD) start at $925 round-trip.
Again, you can book these deals through the beginning of next year. For example, you can book LAX to MLE for just $818 next February.
Google Flights shows cheaper itineraries when you book with Online Travel Agencies (OTA) like GoToGate and Bravofly. However, you may want to book direct or with a more reputable OTA in case you need to make flight changes. Discount OTAs often add extra fees if you need to change or cancel your flight, even if the operating airline doesn’t charge them.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to pay for your flight with a credit card that earns bonus points on airfare. It makes the most sense to use cards like The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline or Amex Travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel).
The information for the Citi Prestige card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
This is a great deal for round-trip economy flights from the U.S. to the Maldives — especially since you can book in early 2022. You’ll find deals on a broad spectrum of dates, including holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas.
While the country has largely remained open to Americans through the pandemic, remember that booking international travel during the coronavirus pandemic is still a gamble. You may need to change your travel plans if the country decides to close borders at the last minute. Thankfully, Etihad should allow you to change free of charge.
Feature photo by Sven Hansche / Shutterstock.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees