Costa Rica deal alert: Book flights to Liberia from $259 round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’re big fans of Costa Rica. The Central American nation is popular not just with adventure travelers, surfers and fishing enthusiasts, but also with families looking for a break from typical vacation destinations. So whenever we see a sale on fares to Costa Rica, we like to let you know about it.
This deal covers travel to Liberia, which is in the Guanacaste province in the northern part of the country. You can plan out a great trip that includes river rafting, hiking around Costa Rica’s largest volcano and exploring the small city’s rich history.
This sale covers the end of the summer through early 2023, but the best fares we found were in the fall. As is typical with these sales, most of the fares we mention below are for basic economy. These tickets often don’t include full-size carry-on bags, so check the airline’s policy before booking. It will typically cost you between $50 and $80 round-trip to upgrade for more overhead bin space. Checked luggage costs around $30 to $35 each way.
Want more TPG news delivered every morning to your inbox? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
A big salute to Scott’s Cheap Flights for first spotting this deal. Its Premium membership is available for $49 per year. The Elite tier option is available for $199 per year, and it offers access to deals on premium economy, business- and first-class tickets.
You know what we always say: The more flexible you can be with your travel plans, the better price you’ll find.
Airlines: American Airlines, Delta Air Lines.
Routes: Baltimore, Indianapolis, New York, San Francisco, Washington, D.C., and others to Liberia, Costa Rica.
How to book: Search Google Flights and book directly through the airline.
Travel dates: Best availability from August this year through February 2023.
A basic cconomy ticket on American from Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) to Guanacaste Airport (LIR) in October is available for only $329 round-trip, a really nice price for a fall getaway to Costa Rica.
We found lots of bargain fares from Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) to Liberia. Here’s one we found for just $259 round-trip on Delta for a late-October trip. Bonus: Delta’s basic economy does allow for a free full-size carry-on bag.
This American itinerary out of Baltimore in September at $308 round-trip is also a nice deal for this route.
September is also where we found good fares out of New York City. You can fly from LaGuardia Airport (LGA) to Liberia on American for $320 round-trip.
Flights from Indianapolis International Airport (IND) to Costa Rica have wide availability, but we found too many fares that included 18-20-hour layovers for travel in the fall. However, January 2023 itineraries were much better. We found this one, which doesn’t require you to camp out at Miami International Airport for the better part of a day, on American for $331 round-trip.
There are good sale prices on flights from Washington, D.C., as well. You can book a ticket out of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) to Liberia in October for $304 round-trip.
Maximize your purchase
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5 points per dollar on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5 points per dollar on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3 points per dollar on air travel, the American Express® Gold Card for 3 points per dollar on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2 points per dollar on travel.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured photo by John Seaton Callahan/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees