Deal Alert: Last-Minute Weekend Getaways From $63 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11 p.m. Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
We’re back with week two of the last minute weekend getaways! Whether you want to see a new city or escape it by enjoying a weekend in the outdoors, there’s a lot of great last minute deals to both types of places.
As we mentioned last week, this deal’s a bit different than most deals we post— typically, we try to stray away from the low-cost carriers, less preferred timetables and let you know what the absolute best deal is, no matter the date or days of the week. However, we wanted to have some fun and encourage readers to take a spontaneous vacation.
If you’re a business-class-only flyer, these fares probably aren’t for you. But if you’re an adventurous reader aching to go on a trip and willing to pack in a backpack, check out these last minute deals. Be aware of extra fees and restrictions — these airlines all charge extra to choose your seat and to bring a large carry-on bag.
If our example dates and times don’t fit your work schedule, play around with the dates on Google Flights as there are often other times available for a little more. All of the routes listed have flights available under $150 between July 25-29.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin, destination and stopover cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airline Spirit, Sun Country, Frontier, United, American
Routes: EWR/CLT/BWI/BOS/DEN/AUS/MSY/ORD/LAS/DTW/MSP/DNA/PHL to CLT/BWI/MCO/PHL/FLL/BOS/RDU/DAL/ATL/AUS/HOU/SFO/SLC/MSP/DEN/ORD/JAX/
Cost: $63+ round-trip
Travel Dates: July 25-29, 2019
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Denver (DEN) to Atlanta (ATL) for $63 round-trip on Spirit:
Denver (DEN) to Austin (AUS) for $69 round-trip on Frontier:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Colorado Springs (COS) for $77 round-trip on Frontier:
Minneapolis (MSP) to Austin (AUS) for $77 round-trip on Frontier:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Charleston (CHS) for $97 round-trip (when booked separately on Frontier and American):
Detroit (DTW) to Raleigh (RDU) for $86 round-trip:
Nashville (BNA) to Savannah (SAV) for $111 round-trip on Sun Country:
Denver (DEN) to San Francisco (SFO) for $132 round-trip (when booked separately on Frontier and United):
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees