Deal Alert: Last-Minute Weekend Getaways From $63 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11 p.m. Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
We’re back with week two of the last minute weekend getaways! Whether you want to see a new city or escape it by enjoying a weekend in the outdoors, there’s a lot of great last minute deals to both types of places.
As we mentioned last week, this deal’s a bit different than most deals we post— typically, we try to stray away from the low-cost carriers, less preferred timetables and let you know what the absolute best deal is, no matter the date or days of the week. However, we wanted to have some fun and encourage readers to take a spontaneous vacation.
If you’re a business-class-only flyer, these fares probably aren’t for you. But if you’re an adventurous reader aching to go on a trip and willing to pack in a backpack, check out these last minute deals. Be aware of extra fees and restrictions — these airlines all charge extra to choose your seat and to bring a large carry-on bag.
If our example dates and times don’t fit your work schedule, play around with the dates on Google Flights as there are often other times available for a little more. All of the routes listed have flights available under $150 between July 25-29.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin, destination and stopover cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airline Spirit, Sun Country, Frontier, United, American
Routes: EWR/CLT/BWI/BOS/DEN/AUS/MSY/ORD/LAS/DTW/MSP/DNA/PHL to CLT/BWI/MCO/PHL/FLL/BOS/RDU/DAL/ATL/AUS/HOU/SFO/SLC/MSP/DEN/ORD/JAX/
Cost: $63+ round-trip
Travel Dates: July 25-29, 2019
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Denver (DEN) to Atlanta (ATL) for $63 round-trip on Spirit:
Denver (DEN) to Austin (AUS) for $69 round-trip on Frontier:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Colorado Springs (COS) for $77 round-trip on Frontier:
Minneapolis (MSP) to Austin (AUS) for $77 round-trip on Frontier:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Charleston (CHS) for $97 round-trip (when booked separately on Frontier and American):
Detroit (DTW) to Raleigh (RDU) for $86 round-trip:
Nashville (BNA) to Savannah (SAV) for $111 round-trip on Sun Country:
Denver (DEN) to San Francisco (SFO) for $132 round-trip (when booked separately on Frontier and United):
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.