Deal alert: Head to Mexico for the winter for as little as $160
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There are some scorching-hot deals to be had if you want to head south of the border this winter. And let’s be honest: Who doesn’t think sunshine, sand and sandals sound great for an end-of-year trip?
There are currently nonstop flights to Mexico going for as low as $160. We found the deals courtesy of our friends at Scott’s Cheap Flights. Most of the fares are from Los Angeles, but there are bargains to be had for people in further — and colder — cities. Prices are good for travel booked between September through early March 2022. Thanksgiving and Christmas are excluded but New Years’s Eve is available.
For more TPG news delivered every morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airline: Alaska Air (Oneworld), JetBlue and United (Star Alliance)
Routes: From LAX/ORD/DFW to CUN/PVR/SJD SEA/JFK/EWR/PDX/SFO/SLC
Cost: From $160 round-trip for select nonstop routes.
Dates: Book for travel between now and December 2021; Thanksgiving travel excluded
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x on air travel, the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
You can fly from Chicago to Cancun for only $160 on United, right as the weather usually starts to take a frigid turn in the Midwest. This is United’s basic economy fare so it doesn’t come with a free carry-on bag.
You can also fly from Dallas to Cancun nonstop starting at $180. This is the price for American’s basic economy rate, which does get you one free carry-on bag, so if you pack light, you can avoid the $60 checked-bag fee.
There are abundant options for people in Los Angeles to score great rates for a getaway to Puerto Vallarta. If you’re looking for a winter trip for the family, this is an ideal place, given its amply supply of resorts.
We found a number of flights for just $181 roundtrip from LAX. This offer for October is from United for its basic economy rate.
Alaska Air is also offering the same rock-bottom rate for LAX-PVR, and their lowest tier, Saver, does give customers a free carry-on bag, unlike United. This fare often costs $500, so this is a tremendous savings.
If Los Cabos is more your style, you’ll find the price is right for flights from LA, such as this $180 deal from Alaska Air.
How to book
There are no tricks or special codes needed to find these fares.
If you’re paying with cash, head to Google Flights and plug in your desired departure and destination cities. Then, use the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you and then click through to book with the airline directly.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or Amex Travel on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel), American Express Gold Card (3x on flights booked directly with airlines or Amex Travel), Citi Premier Card (3x on air travel) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured Image by Ruth Peterkin for Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees