Deal Alert: Midwest, East Coast to Hawaii From $417 Round-Trip
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year). Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
While deals from the West Coast to Hawaii abound — indeed, there are currently options from $300 round-trip — deals from the rest of the country have been few and far between. But today we are seeing fares from 8+ East Coast and Midwest airports to Hawaii for less than $500 round-trip.
Unfortunately, many of these fares are in basic economy. The United basic economy fares are especially problematic as United still doesn’t allow basic economy passengers to bring a free carry-on bag. However, having a co-branded credit card can help defeat some aspects of basic economy.
Airline: Alaska, American Airlines, United
Routes: DAL/PIT/BNA/ORD/RDU/ATL/JFK/LGA to KOA/LIH
Cost: $417+ in economy
Travel Dates: February – May
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Citi Prestige (5x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Dallas Love Field (DAL) to Kona (KOA) for $417 round-trip on Alaska:
Pittsburgh (PIT) to Kona (KOA) for $437 round-trip in American Airlines Basic Economy:
Nashville (BNA) to Kona (KOA) for $443 round-trip in United Basic Economy:
Chicago O’Hare (ORD) to Lihue (LIH) for $457 round-trip in United Basic Economy:
Raleigh/Durham (RDU) to Kona (KOA) for $467 round-trip in American Airlines Basic Economy:
Atlanta (ATL) to Kona (KOA) for $467 round-trip on Alaska “Saver” fares:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to Lihue (LIH) for $489 round-trip on American Airlines:
New York LaGuardia (LGA) to Lihue (LIH) for $489 round-trip in United Basic Economy:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), American Express® Gold Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by M Swiet Productions / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- New! American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees