Deal Alert: Midwest, East Coast to Hawaii From $417 Round-Trip
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
While deals from the West Coast to Hawaii abound — indeed, there are currently options from $300 round-trip — deals from the rest of the country have been few and far between. But today we are seeing fares from 8+ East Coast and Midwest airports to Hawaii for less than $500 round-trip.
Unfortunately, many of these fares are in basic economy. The United basic economy fares are especially problematic as United still doesn’t allow basic economy passengers to bring a free carry-on bag. However, having a co-branded credit card can help defeat some aspects of basic economy.
Airline: Alaska, American Airlines, United
Routes: DAL/PIT/BNA/ORD/RDU/ATL/JFK/LGA to KOA/LIH
Cost: $417+ in economy
Travel Dates: February – May
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Citi Prestige (5x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Dallas Love Field (DAL) to Kona (KOA) for $417 round-trip on Alaska:
Pittsburgh (PIT) to Kona (KOA) for $437 round-trip in American Airlines Basic Economy:
Nashville (BNA) to Kona (KOA) for $443 round-trip in United Basic Economy:
Chicago O’Hare (ORD) to Lihue (LIH) for $457 round-trip in United Basic Economy:
Raleigh/Durham (RDU) to Kona (KOA) for $467 round-trip in American Airlines Basic Economy:
Atlanta (ATL) to Kona (KOA) for $467 round-trip on Alaska “Saver” fares:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to Lihue (LIH) for $489 round-trip on American Airlines:
New York LaGuardia (LGA) to Lihue (LIH) for $489 round-trip in United Basic Economy:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), American Express® Gold Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by M Swiet Productions / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees