Deal alert: Half-price round-trip flights to San José and Liberia, Costa Rica
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This story has been updated
Starting this shortened week with a fresh deal to Costa Rica — which sounds like something I should book myself with the snow outside my window on the East Coast right now.
Flights are available departing from various U.S. cities to both Liberia and San José, Costa Rica, starting as low as $186 round-trip.
Today’s deal was originally sent out from Scott’s Cheap Flights, which sends deals up to 90% off via its Premium membership, which users can try for free for 14 days and then $49 per year. You can also upgrade to their Elite tier for $199 per year and receive all the Premium deals plus premium economy, business, and first class alerts.
Routes: BWI/ATL/DEN/IAH/MIA/MKE/EWR/LGA/SAN/TPA and others to SJO.
How to book: Directly through the airline.
Travel dates: January through April 2022.
Book by: This deal will only last one–two days.
Read more: 11 sunny spots to spend a winter holiday
This deal features flights as low as $186 round-trip to SJO, departing from more than 80 cities, including:
- From New York City (EWR/JFK), starting at $186.
- From Ft. Lauderdale (FLL), starting at $194.
- From Philadelphia (PHL), starting at $200.
- From Miami (MIA), starting at $222.
- From Baltimore (BWI), starting at $244.
- From Las Vegas (LAS), starting at $257.
- From Los Angeles (LAX), starting at $264.
- From San Diego (SAN), starting at $268.
- From San Francisco (SFO), starting at $280.
- From Nashville (BNA), starting at $290.
JetBlue’s basic economy class, Blue Basic, does not include a full-sized carry-on. To access the overhead bin, consider upgrading to Blue or checking a bag for $60.
Routes: AUS/BWI/CLT/DAY/IND/LAX/JFK/PHL/IAD/DCA and others to LIR.
How to book: Directly through the airline.
Travel dates: January through May 2022; September through December 2022.
Book by: This deal will last one–two days.
This deal features flights as low as $218 round-trip to LIR, departing from approximately 60 cities, including:
- From Austin (AUS)/Los Angeles (LAX), starting at $218.
- From Baltimore (BWI), starting at $264.
- From Indianapolis (IND), starting at $271.
- From Charlotte (CLT), starting at $293.
- From San Diego (SAN), starting at $273.
- From New York City (JFK/LGA)/Philadelphia (PHL), starting at $275.
- From Nashville (BNA), starting at $281.
- From Washington, D.C. (DCA/IAD), starting at $239.
To book this deal, head to Google Flights or search flights via United directly. Note that availability depends on the exact route.
To carry on a bag, consider paying $80 round-trip to upgrade to United’s Economy class, but you’ll still have to pay $70 to check a bag.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel), on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year, Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or via Amex Travel) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel). For this deal specifically, consider using the United Gateway Card for 2x on United purchases or JetBlue Plus Card for 6x on eligible JetBlue purchases. Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Costa Rica is open to fully vaccinated travelers from the U.S. More information on traveling to Costa Rica during COVID-19 is available from the U.S. Embassy.
Act fast because this deal is expected to last just one or two days.
Featured image by Gianfranco Vivi via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.