See the Northern Lights With These Flight Deals From $226 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11 p.m. Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Deals to Northern Europe abound. Cheap flights to Stockholm (ARN), Helsinki (HEL) and Copenhagen (CPH) can be found from just $226 round-trip.
The cheapest departures originate from Boston (BOS) and New York (JFK) but you can also find deals from Los Angeles (LAX), Miami (MIA) and Chicago (ORD). Most flights are operated by Oneworld carriers like American Airlines or British Airways and the lowest fares are in basic economy, so you’ll have to pay extra for seat selection or checked bag. However, you should still earn miles and will be served a meal during your journey.
The North of Sweden and Finland are among the best places to see the Northern Lights, and these flights are available during prime viewing season. You’ll have to make a short hop up north to get the best viewing opportunities.
To search for fares, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airline: America, British Airways, Iberia, Finnair, Lufthansa, SWISS, United
Routes: BOS/JFK/LAX/MIA/ORD to ARN/HEL/CPH
Cost: $226+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September 2019 – April 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Boston (BOS) to Helsinki (HEL) for $226 round-trip on American/Finnair/British Airways:
Boston (BOS) to Copenhagen (CPH) for $263 round-trip on British Airways via AA.com:
New York City (JFK) to Stockholm (ARN) for $271 round-trip on Finnair via AA.com:
Boston (BOS) to Stockholm (ARN) for $282 round-trip on British Airways:
Miami (MIA) to Stockholm (ARN) for $387 round-trip on Finnair via AA.com:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Stockholm (ARN) for $407 round-trip on British Airways:
Chicago (ORD) to Stockholm (ARN) for $497 round-trip on Lufthansa/SWISS/United:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Featured image by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.