Deal Alert: Flights to Southeast Asia From $429 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Teeming metropolises and beautiful beaches are in reach with these cheap flights to Southeast Asia. We’re seeing flights on a wide variety of full service carriers, with prices starting from $429 round-trip.
You can fly from New York (JFK/EWR), Houston (IAH), Washington DC (IAD), Chicago (ORD), Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO) and Seattle (SEA) to Bangkok (BKK), Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) or Phuket (HKT) on China Southern or fancier Star Alliance carriers like ANA and Singapore. Most fares include complimentary checked luggage, seat selection and a meal.
During your visit you could try and see some of best islands in Thailand — and our guide to traveling cheap while still staying chic can help you save even more cash in a region that’s already inexpensive.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airline: ANA, China Southern, China Airlines, United, Air Japan, Singapore Airlines
Routes: JFK/EWR/IAH/IAD/ORD/LAX/SFO/SEA to BKK/SGN/HKT
Cost: $429+ round-trip in economy
Dates: April – January 2020 (Availability may be scattered on some routes)
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) for $429 round-trip on China Southern via Priceline:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Bangkok (BKK) for $442 round-trip on China Southern via Priceline:
San Francisco (SFO) to Bangkok (BKK) for $442 round-trip on China Southern via Priceline:
New York (JFK) to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) for $479 round-trip on China Southern via Priceline:
New York (JFK) to Bangkok (BKK) for $531 round-trip on ANA via United:
Washington DC (IAD) to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) for $542 round-trip on ANA/United via United:
Houston (IAH) to Bangkok (BKK) for $555 round-trip on ANA via United:
San Francisco (SFO) to Phuket City (HKT) for $567 round-trip on China Southern via Priceline:
Chicago (ORD) to Bangkok (BKK) for $591 round-trip on United/ANA via United:
Washington DC (ORD) to Bangkok (BKK) for $614 round-trip on United/ANA via United:
Seattle (SEA) to Bangkok (BKK) for $627 round-trip on Singapore:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Bangkok (BKK) for $652 round-trip on China Airlines:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Featured image by kasto80 via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees