Deal Alert: Flights to South America From $229 Round-Trip
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11 p.m. Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
I don’t know about you, but bright blue water lined with multicolored houses is all you have to say for me to say yes to a trip. If you agree, then it’s time to head to South America where destinations like Bonaire and Curaço offer plenty of views like this. We’ve also found deals to Colombia, Ecuador, and Trinidad and Tobago.
Round-trip flights to these destinations in South America are available from $229 round-trip starting in September and lasting into February 2020. Be aware some of the low fares available are in basic economy, so you’ll have to pay extra fees for additional baggage and seat selection.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airline: American, JetBlue, Copa Airlines, Delta
Routes: MIA/MCO/ORD/CLE/ATL/DCA/LGA/BOS/PHL/DAL/RDU to AUA/CUR/POS/CTG/MDE/BOG/BON/GYE
Cost: $229+ round-trip in basic economy
Travel Dates: September 2019-February 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Miami (MIA) to Aruba (AUA) for $229 round-trip on American:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Medellín (MDE) for $246 round-trip on JetBlue:
Orlando (MCO) to Bogota (BOG) for $273 round-trip on Delta:
Miami (MIA) to Bonaire (BON) for $277 round-trip on American:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Guayaquil (GYE) for $282 round-trip on JetBlue:
Chicago (ORD) to Cartagena (CTG) for $283 round-trip on Copa Airlines:
New York (JFK) to Curacao (CUR) for $289 round-trip on American:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Curacao (CUR) for $325 round-trip on American:
Boston (BOS) to Aruba (AUA) for $325 round-trip on JetBlue:
Raleigh (RDU) to Bogota (BOG) for $385 round-trip on Delta:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured by Garytog / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.