This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
There’s an assortment of cheap flights from New York (JFK), San Francisco (SFO), Miami (MIA), Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and Boston (BOS) to Rome (FCO) and Venice (VCE) with prices starting from $344 round-trip. Some of these flights are in basic economy, so be aware of fees on checked luggage and seat selection — a co-branded credit card can help get around some of these extra costs.
To search, head to Google Flights or Fare Compare’s Deal page and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function on Google Flights to find dates and prices that work for you or enter ‘Anytime’ with Fare Compare to find the absolute cheapest dates. Note that Fare Compare may recommend booking with a smaller OTA for the lowest price — be aware that lesser-known OTAs may be difficult to deal with if you want to make changes to your trip. If you want to minimize any potential headaches, you’re likely better off booking directly with the airline.
Airline: American, Alitalia, United, Swiss, TAP Portugal
Routes: JFK/SFO/MIA/FLL/BOS to FCO/VCE
Cost: $344+ round-trip in economy
Dates: February-May, September-November
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Rome (FCO) for $344 round-trip on American:
Boston (BOS) to Venice (VCE) for $371 round-trip on TAP Portugal:
Miami (MIA) to Rome (FCO) for $399 round-trip on Swiss via CheapOair:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Rome (FCO) for $414 round-trip on Alitalia:
San Francisco (SFO) to Rome (FCO) for $427 round-trip on United/Swiss:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
H/T: Fare Compare
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Featured image by Rory McDonald / Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees