This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
American Airlines has launched an aggressive attack fare on United hubs of Newark (EWR), Houston (IAH), Denver (DEN) and San Francisco (SFO) offering round-trip flights for less than $300 in Basic Economy, with the option to buy up to Main Cabin for $90 more round-trip. Most of these city pairs have one-stop options, but it might take a little digging to find these instead of the more-numerous two-stop options.
For this particular deal, the cheapest options are showing up on American Airlines’ website after clicking through Google Flights. The fares aren’t appearing on AA.com through a direct search, and I haven’t been able to find the fares through an OTA such as Expedia or Priceline.
If you can’t make a trip happen in the next couple of months, you can score a deal on a 2019 Hawaii getaway through AA Vacation’s ongoing $130-off sale. You can get a flight+hotel for two adults and a five-night stay in Kona for just $986 total ($493 per person). Even better, that’s in Main Cabin — instead of Basic Economy — and the flights code as Special Fares.
Routes: EWR/DEN/IAH/SFO to HNL/LIH/KOA
Cost: $284+ round-trip in basic economy
Travel Dates: October to early December 2018
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Premier Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Booking Link: Expedia, Priceline or directly with the airline
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Newark (EWR) to Honolulu (HNL) for $284 round-trip on American Airlines Basic Economy:
Denver (DEN) to Honolulu (HNL) for $284 round-trip on American Airlines Basic Economy:
Houston Intercontinental (IAH) to Lihue (LIH) for $284 round-trip on American Airlines Basic Economy:
Denver (DEN) to Lihue (LIH) for $284 round-trip on American Airlines Basic Economy:
Denver (DEN) to Kona (KOA) for $284 round-trip on American Airlines Basic Economy:
San Francisco (SFO) to Lihue (LIH) for $284 round-trip on American Airlines Basic Economy:
Newark (EWR) to Lihue (LIH) for $291 round-trip on American Airlines Basic Economy:
Newark (EWR) to Kona (KOA) for $292 round-trip on American Airlines Basic Economy:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees