Flight deal alert: Barcelona, Paris, London, Rome from $227 round trip on major carriers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Valentine’s Day is coming. Rather than planning a fancy dinner out, how about a fancy dinner out… in Paris?
These are the lowest cash-price tickets we’ve seen to Europe thus far in 2020, even amidst the many great sales kicking off the year. Even better, many of these flights are operated on alliance airlines, meaning that you can fly a Europe-local airline but still earn valuable miles toward travel on American, United and other U.S. carriers. Some of these deals are even available from the West Coast as well, which means extra miles for low prices.
We’re seeing sub-$300 round trip fares throughout the year, but the lowest rates appear to be in February and November. The cheapest destination appears to be Spain, with Barcelona and Madrid both offering a number of flights originating from New York in the $200s.
Some of these fares may book into basic economy, which means different things to different airlines, but often means you may not have free use of the overhead bins for a carry-on bag. You probably also won’t be able to select your seat, get an upgrade, or earn PQM/PQS/PQDs. However, it’s possible to defeat many of basic economy’s negative aspects by having elite status or a cobranded credit card.
To find a deal, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or an OTA like Orbitz or Expedia.
Here’s a summary of what’s available:
Airline: Iberia, Emirates, Delta, Air France/KLM, Norwegian, Swiss, United, Air Canada, Lufthansa
Routes: JFK/EWR/ORD/LAX/SFO and more to BCN/MAD/CDG/LHR/FCO and more
Cost: from $227 round trip
Dates: January — November 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here are some examples of specific flights that are available:
New York (JFK) to Barcelona (BCN) for $227 round trip direct on Iberia if purchased separately, or $237 on a single itinerary:
New York (JFK) to Madrid (MAD) for $264 round trip direct on Norwegian via Gotogate:
Newark/New York (EWR) to Paris (CDG) for $296 round trip direct on United (Dreamliner!):
Chicago (ORD) to Paris (CDG) for $343 round trip nonstop on Delta:
Los Angeles (LAX) to London (LHR) for $347 round trip on United/Lufthansa:
San Francisco (SFO) to Rome (FCO) for $328 round trip on TAP Air Portugal:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees