Flash Sale: Southwest Celebrating Its Birthday With Flight Deals From $49 One-Way
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card
Southwest is celebrating its 48th birthday by offering one-way flights as low as $49 domestically and $87 internationally. On top of the flight sale, if you happen to be flying Southwest today, June 18, and are 21 years or older, you will receive a celebratory drink to ring in the big day. The sale fares are available from a number of domestic and international departure cities from September 4 through December 5. To see the entire list of routes on sale, click here.
Keep in mind that if you’ve already made a reservation through Southwest and see that it’s decreased in price since originally purchased, you can be refunded the difference in price. Don’t forget that Southwest award redemptions are tied to the ticket’s price, so this is a prime opportunity to use Southwest miles for a cheap trip. You can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to Southwest instantly at a 1:1 ratio.
While some of these prices aren’t as dirt cheap as other airlines’ basic economy fares, keep in mind that Southwest doesn’t charge for the first two checked bags which can help keep the cost of your trip down.
If you’re in the market for a new credit card and you fly Southwest often, you may want to consider applying for the Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card as it has great benefits for Southwest flyers and is currently offering a welcome bonus of up to 75,000 points; 40,000 points after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months account is open. Plus, earn an additional 35,000 points after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 6 months account is open.
Book by 11:59 pm central time, June 20, to lock in these fares for travel between September 4 and December 5. All tickets purchased during this promotion are nonrefundable.
Routes: Various international and domestic routes
Cost: From $49 one-way
Travel Dates: September 4 through December 5
Book By: June 20
Pay With: Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card, The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Booking Link: Southwest.com
Here are some examples of what you can book:
Atlanta (ATL) to Nashville (BNA) for $49 one-way:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Grand Cayman Island (GCM) for $69 one-way:
Columbus (CMH) to Belize (BZE) for $173 one-way:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Marco Garcia/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees