Europe deal alert: Fly to Barcelona, Berlin, Rome and other cities from $436 nonstop
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the best ways to save money during the rapidly approaching “sold-out summer” travel season is to book your tickets as early as possible. That strategy also applies to fall and winter travel, too. If you’re eyeing a visit to Europe later this year, then now is the time to book your seats. There is a new deal that has some excellent fares to some of the most popular European cities. Even better, these discounted fares are available from a number of different U.S. cities, including Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, NYC and Washington, D.C.
We saw the best availability for travel between September and March 2023. There are some nonstops available, as well. As is typical with discounted fares to Europe, this sale is for economy seats. Checked bags with these fares will cost you extra. You can also pay $60–$75 each way to upgrade to a baggage-inclusive fare.
Want more TPG news delivered every morning to your inbox? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Thanks to Scott’s Cheap Flights for first noticing this deal. Its Premium membership is available for $49 per year. The Elite tier option is available for $199 per year, and it offers access to deals on premium economy, business- and first-class tickets. The more flexible you can be with your travel plans, the better price you’ll find.
Airlines: American Airlines, Delta, Finnair, Iberia, ITA Airways, United.
Routes: Chicago, Los Angeles, Newark, New York City & more to Barcelona, Berlin, Copenhagen, London, Madrid, Zurich.
How to book: Search Google Flights and book directly through the airline.
Travel dates: Best availability from September through March 2023.
How about this nonstop flight from Miami (MIA) to Rome (FCO) in November on ITA Airways for only $485 round trip? That’s an excellent price for this route, and we found similar low prices in September, too.
ITA, the government-owned carrier that replaced Alitalia in 2021, also has nonstop flights from New York City (JFK) to Rome in the fall for less than $500.
You can also score nice prices on flights from NYC to Barcelona (BCN) in late October. Iberia has nonstop fares for just $436. You get a free carry-on bag with Iberia’s economy fare, but a checked bag will cost you extra, so make sure to check with the airline about the cost before you book.
Boston (BOS) to Barcelona in November is also on sale for just $486 on Iberia, a significant discount from normal prices for this route.
We found a stellar deal on the West Coast. You can fly nonstop from San Francisco (SFO) to London (LHR) on United in early December for $642. That’s much lower than what that route costs for a holiday-season getaway. Remember that United’s Basic Economy comes with a free carry-on, but the first checked bag is $150.
There are also good prices on flights to Germany. This early-December route from Newark (EWR) to Berlin (BER) on United is a good markdown from normal prices. Who doesn’t like to save a few extra bucks during the holiday season?
Maximize your purchase
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5 points per dollar on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5 points per dollar on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3 points per dollar on air travel, the American Express® Gold Card for 3 points per dollar on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2 points per dollar on travel.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured photo by Pol Albarrán/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees