Act fast: Darn good Delta deal alert with tickets starting at 5,000 SkyMiles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines is offering round-trip flights for as little as 5,000 Delta SkyMiles right now. Act fast. We’re not sure how long this fare sale will last.
The flights, first flagged by Frequent Miler, are mostly out of Washington, but we found discounted redemptions from several major airports.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airline: Delta Air Lines
Routes: ATL/BOS/MCI/LAS/MSY/MSP/PDX/SFO/SLC/TUS/WAS and others to ABQ/AUS/DFW/FLL/HOU/IND/MSP/MCO/PDX/RNO/SFO and more
How to book: Directly through the airline
Travel dates: February — December (the best availability is through March)
Book by: N/A
Round-trip, nonstop flights to lots of destinations are available from more than 30 U.S. cities, including:
- Seattle (SEA), starting at 5,000 SkyMiles.
- Albuquerque (ABQ)/Austin (AUS)/Dallas (DFW)/Fort Lauderdale (FLL)/Houston (IAH)/Indianapolis (IND)/Minneapolis (MSP)/Orlando (MCO)/Portland (PDX)/Reno (RNO)/San Francisco (SFO), starting at 9,000 SkyMiles.
- Kansas City (MCI)/Las Vegas (LAS)/Nashville (BNA)/New Orleans (MSY)/Oakland (OAK)/Phoenix (PHX)/Sacramento (SMF)/Salt Lake City (SLC)/San Jose (SJC), starting at 10,000 SkyMiles.
To book, head to the SkyMiles Award Deals page at delta.com and enter your departure city, Don’t put in a destination, just hit the red arrow and see what comes up.
The best deals we found are from Seattle where you can fly to lots of cities for just 5,000 Delta SkyMiles including Phoenix, Anchorage or Las Vegas.
Here’s an example of deals from San Francisco International Airport (SFO). Check out the flight to New York (JFK) for just 10,000 Delta SkyMiles.
New York to San Francisco or Los Angeles is also a great deal for between 9,000-10,000 miles.
Or how about Minneapolis (MSP) to Los Angeles for between 9,000-9,500 SkyMiles?
If your travel dates are flexible, search the Price Calendar for deals. The low fares listed above are for basic economy seats, but on this route it might be worth it to upgrade to the main cabin for an extra 4,000 SkyMiles. With the upgrade you’ll be able to select a seat and you can have your miles redeposited if you need to change or cancel plans.
Passengers flying on Delta are allowed one carry-on bag and checked luggage starts at $30 unless you have elite status or carry a cobranded credit card that gives you a free checked bag.
Maximize your purchase
Even though you are booking with miles, don’t forget to use a card that earns points for airfare purchases as you still have to pay taxes and fees, and you may have to pay for a checked bag. Some cards that offer points on airline purchases include The Platinum Card® from American Express (5 points per dollar on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Prestige® Card (5 points per dollar on airfare), Citi Premier® Card (3 points per dollar on air travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3 points per dollar on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3 points per dollar on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel), the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2 points per dollar on travel), or a Delta card such as as the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card for 2 miles per dollar or the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card for 3 miles per dollar on eligible Delta purchases.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Delta Air Lines has some incredible deals for round-trip flights starting at 5,000 SkyMiles round-trip. The best deals are out of Seattle, but the prices are compelling for flights from coast to coast and even some international destinations.
Featured image by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.