This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If a trip to China has been on your to-do list, then you should consider booking now. Delta’s offering discounted award flights from the US to Shanghai (PVG). The airline had a similar sale in early July and is back with more deals at rock-bottom rates — round-trip flights start at just 40,000 miles.
Departures are available from Atlanta (ATL), New York (JFK/LGA), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Orlando (MCO), Birmingham (BHM), Nashville (BNA), Jacksonville (JAX), New Orleans (MSY), Raleigh/Durham (RDU) and Washington DC (DCA/IAD) — although you may find cities outside of those listed.
Despite Delta not publishing an award chart, round-trip awards to China usually start at 70,000 miles so this is nearly half-off. Taxes and fees are a reasonable $35-$40 on these routes.
Head over to Delta’s website and use the flexible date calendar to find the cheapest rates. You’ll need to book your ticket by August 15 to take advantage of the deal.
Routes: JFK/LGA/ATL/BHM/BNA/DCA/IAD/FLL/JAX/MSY/MCO/RDU to PVG
Cost: From 40,000 miles plus taxes/fees starting at $35 round-trip
Book by: August 15
Dates: August 16 – December 9, 2018
Restrictions: Must purchase seven days in advance. No minimum stay required
Pay Taxes and Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Atlanta (ATL) to Shanghai (PVG) nonstop for 40,000 miles and $35 round-trip:
New York (LGA/JFK) to Shanghai (PVG) for 40,000 miles and $41 round-trip:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Shanghai (PVG) nonstop for 40,000 miles and $41 round-trip:
Orlando (MCO) to Shanghai (PVG) nonstop for 40,000 miles and $41 round-trip:
Although you won’t be able to earn a welcome bonus in the next few days (since the qualification period is the first three months from account opening), consider applying for a Delta credit card the next time the carrier has a sale. Right now, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express comes with a bonus of 30,000 SkyMiles after you spend $1,000 in the first three months. Plus, a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase within the first three months. You’ll earn two miles per dollar on Delta purchases and one mile per dollar on everything else.
If you have a business, the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express is offering a 50,000-mile welcome bonus and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after spending $3,000 in the first three months. Plus, a $100 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 11/7/18.
Featured image by Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees