This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If a trip to China has been on your to-do list, then you should consider booking now. Delta’s offering discounted award flights from the US to Shanghai (PVG). The airline had a similar sale in early July and is back with more deals at rock-bottom rates — round-trip flights start at just 40,000 miles.
Departures are available from Atlanta (ATL), New York (JFK/LGA), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Orlando (MCO), Birmingham (BHM), Nashville (BNA), Jacksonville (JAX), New Orleans (MSY), Raleigh/Durham (RDU) and Washington DC (DCA/IAD) — although you may find cities outside of those listed.
Despite Delta not publishing an award chart, round-trip awards to China usually start at 70,000 miles so this is nearly half-off. Taxes and fees are a reasonable $35-$40 on these routes.
Head over to Delta’s website and use the flexible date calendar to find the cheapest rates. You’ll need to book your ticket by August 15 to take advantage of the deal.
Routes: JFK/LGA/ATL/BHM/BNA/DCA/IAD/FLL/JAX/MSY/MCO/RDU to PVG
Cost: From 40,000 miles plus taxes/fees starting at $35 round-trip
Book by: August 15
Dates: August 16 – December 9, 2018
Restrictions: Must purchase seven days in advance. No minimum stay required
Pay Taxes and Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Atlanta (ATL) to Shanghai (PVG) nonstop for 40,000 miles and $35 round-trip:
New York (LGA/JFK) to Shanghai (PVG) for 40,000 miles and $41 round-trip:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Shanghai (PVG) nonstop for 40,000 miles and $41 round-trip:
Orlando (MCO) to Shanghai (PVG) nonstop for 40,000 miles and $41 round-trip:
Although you won’t be able to earn a welcome bonus in the next few days (since the qualification period is the first three months from account opening), consider applying for a Delta credit card the next time the carrier has a sale. Right now, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express comes with a limited time bonus of 60,000 SkyMiles after you spend $3,000 in the first four months. Offer ends 9/19/18. You’ll earn two miles per dollar on Delta purchases and one mile per dollar on everything else.
If you have a business, the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express is offering a 70,000-mile welcome bonus after spending $3,000 in the first three months (you also get 10,000 MQMs).
Featured image by Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards