Delta Flash Sale: Europe From 48,000 SkyMiles Round-Trip
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Every so often Delta offers an award “flash sale,” such as flights to Asia from 50,000 SkyMiles round-trip or South America from 36,000 SkyMiles round-trip. The latest version of this promotion is offering award flights to Europe starting at just 48,000 SkyMiles round-trip. This is a pretty great rate when you consider a standard low-level award flight between the US and Europe is typically 30,000 miles one-way. Several European destinations are included in this sale, such as London (LHR), Zurich (ZRH), Madrid (MAD), Dusseldorf (DUS) and Frankfurt (FRA).
In order to take advantage of this deal, you’ll have to book by Wednesday, May 16, 2018, at 11:59pm ET, and travel between September 8 and November 15, 2018, or January 10 to March 15, 2019.
Route: US to Europe (LHR/ZRH/MAD/DUS/FRA/TXL/NCE/SNN/KEF)
Cost: 48,000+ SkyMiles round-trip in economy + taxes and fees
Dates: September 8 – November 15, 2018 and January 10 – March 15, 2019
Pay Taxes/Fees With: Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel) or The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare)
Here are a few examples of dates you can book:
Minneapolis (MSP) to London (LHR) for 48,000 miles + $194 round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Zurich (ZRH) for 48,000 miles + $63 round-trip:
Miami (MIA) to Madrid (MAD) for 48,000 miles + $58 round-trip:
Chicago (ORD) to Frankfurt (FRA) for 48,000 miles + $129 round-trip:
Delta doesn’t publish an award chart, so there’s no telling exactly how discounted these award sale fares are. But when considering whether or not redeeming is a better option than outright buying a flight, make sure that you’re comparing apples to apples. Delta’s awards book into the main cabin, while the cheapest revenue rates you’ll find on search engines like Google Flights are likely for Delta’s basic economy fares.
If you don’t have enough SkyMiles in your account, consider signing up for one of the Delta SkyMiles credit cards from American Express to ensure you’re able to take advantage of an offer like this next time one pops up. For example, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express currently comes with a bonus of 30,000 bonus miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Terms Apply.
Featured image of Parque Del Buen Retiro in Madrid, Spain by Emad Aljumah via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.