Deal Alert: Delta Domestic Award Flights From 10,000 SkyMiles Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Delta has just launched another SkyMiles sale for domestic routes around the country. You can fly round-trip in economy for as little as 10,000 miles. And upgrades to Comfort+ will only bump up your total to 11,000 miles round-trip. Availability is widespread too, like on flights between New York and Washington, D.C.:
For reference, United charges no less than 20,000 miles round-trip for an award flight. And the cheapest American Airlines awards are nonstop flights under 500 miles booked with a reduced mileage award code that still cost 13,000 round-trip.
Delta’s deals site lists 10 routes, but there are even more options available. Given how widespread many of these sales are, your best bet would be to head to Delta.com and search around for the route of your choice to see how it’s pricing. The sale applies to flights from May 1 to June 27, but you’ll need to book by March 20 to get the deals.
Remember that you can instantly transfer American Express Membership Rewards points to Delta SkyMiles at a 1:1 ratio.
Routes: Flights between ATL/LAX/MSP/PDX/SEA/SFO/SJC/DCA/BWI/JFK/LGA/ORD/DTW/SLC — and likely more
Cost: 10,000+ SkyMiles plus $11 round-trip in economy, 11,000+ SkyMiles plus $11 round-trip in Comfort+
Purchase By: March 20
Dates: May 1 to June 27
Booking Link: Directly with Delta
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Citi Prestige (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Washington, D.C. (DCA) to New York (LGA) for 10,000 miles + $11 in taxes and fees nonstop round-trip:
Portland (PDX) to Seattle (SEA) for 11,000 miles + $11 in taxes and fees nonstop round-trip:
Seattle (SEA) to Portland (PDX) for 11,000 miles + $11 in taxes and fees nonstop round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Portland (PDX) for 11,000 miles + $11 in taxes and fees nonstop round-trip:
New York (JFK) to Boston (BOS) for 13,000 miles + $11 in taxes and fees nonstop round-trip:
Atlanta (ATL) to Orlando (MCO) for 14,000 miles + $11 in taxes and fees nonstop round-trip:
Detroit (DTW) to Chicago (ORD) for 16,000 miles + $11 in taxes and fees nonstop round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige (5x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, (3x on all travel purchases) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you don’t have enough SkyMiles in your account, consider signing up for one of the Delta credit cards to ensure you’re able to take advantage of a deal next time one pops up. For example, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express currently comes with a bonus of 30,000 bonus miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Terms Apply.Also, this is a great card for defeating basic economy.
Featured image by Ramin Talaie/Corbis via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.