Deal Alert: Flights to Caribbean, Mexican Beach Destinations From 12,000 Miles Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Although Delta hasn’t published award chart for years, it does offer award flash sales fairly regularly. Destinations have included business class to Europe from 128,000 SkyMiles round-trip, Japan from 44,000 SkyMiles round-trip, South America from 32,000 SkyMiles round-trip, domestic flights for 10,000 SkyMiles round-trip, London for 32,000 SkyMiles round-trip, Australia for 44,000 SkyMiles round-trip, Africa for 54,000 SkyMiles round-trip and more.
Today we’re seeing Delta awards to Caribbean and Mexican beach destinations starting at just 12,000 SkyMiles round-trip. Delta lists 52 routes for this deal starting at 16,000 SkyMiles round-trip, but there’s some routes that are pricing out even cheaper. We recommend heading to and searching around for the route of your choice to see how it’s pricing.
At current TPG valuation of 1.2 cents per miles, 12,000 miles represents a cash equivalent of $144 round-trip. Adding in taxes and fees starting at $95 round-trip, this is about equivalent to scoring a $239 round-trip on a beach getaway.
There’s no stated booking cutoff date, but the best options are likely to go quickly so we recommend booking promptly. To search, plug in your origin airport at Delta.com along with one of the sale destinations mentioned above. We recommend using Delta’s “Flexible Dates” calendar, and make sure you toggle to “Miles” when looking at search results.
Remember that Diamond and Platinum Medallion members are entitled to fee-free cancellations on all award bookings (Basic Economy tickets notwithstanding), so top-tier elites can book now and see if it works with their schedule down the road. Also, Delta’s higher elite tiers are entitled to complimentary upgrades from Main Cabin to Comfort+.
If you’re in need of SkyMiles, remember that you can instantly transfer American Express Membership Rewards points to Delta at a 1:1 ratio.
Routes: LAX/JFK/BOS/LGA/ATL/SEA and more to PVR/BDA/GCM/NAS/SXM/AUA and more
Cost: 12,000+ Delta SkyMiles round-trip in economy
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Puerto Vallarta (PVR) for 12,000 miles + $95 in taxes and fees round-trip:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to Bermuda (BDA) for 14,000 miles + $128 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Boston (BOS) to Bermuda (BDA) for 16,000 miles + $128 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
New York LaGuardia (LGA) to Grand Cayman (GCM) for 16,000 miles + $96 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Boston (BOS) to Nassau (NAS) for 16,000 miles + $119 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Puerto Vallarta (PVR) for 17,000 miles + $95 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to Nassau (NAS) for 18,000 miles + $113 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to Saint Martin (SXM) for 22,000 miles + $79 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to Aruba (AUA) for 22,000 miles + $85 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Boston (BOS) to Saint Martin (SXM) for 22,000 miles + $84 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Boston (BOS) to Aruba (AUA) for 22,000 miles + $90 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Boosting Your SkyMiles Balance
While you couldn’t earn a welcome bonus in time to boost your balance for this wave of deals, you may consider adding a card now in anticipation of flash sales to come. There are a variety of ways to earn Delta miles, from Delta-operated flights to trips on SkyTeam airlines to various non-travel partners. However, one of the best ways to boost your SkyMiles balance to score a few free trips is by adding one of these cards to your arsenal:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express ($550 annual fee; See Rates & Fees); 75,000-point welcome bonus after you use your new card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 6 months of account opening, though be sure to check the CardMatch Tool to see if you’re targeted for a 100,000-point welcome bonus after spending $5,000 in the first 3 months; offer subject to change at anytime, (you can transfer Membership Rewards points directly to Delta SkyMiles)
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express ($595 annual fee; See Rates & Fees); Earn up to 75,000 bonus points: 50,000 bonus points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 bonus points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card ($450 annual fee; $550 if application is received on or after 1/30/2020, See Rates & Fees); Earn 40,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Terms Apply.
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express ($95 annual fee; See Rates & Fees); Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you use your new card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first three months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first three months. Terms apply.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Amex Business Platinum Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Delta Reserve Business Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Gold Delta SkyMiles Card, click here.
Featured image by IreneCorti via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.