Deal Alert: Delta Awards to Australia From 64,000 SkyMiles Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Delta hasn’t had a published award chart since February 2015, but it does offer award flash sales fairly regularly. Today flights to Sydney, Australia, are on sale from 64,000 SkyMiles round-trip.
Delta usually prices awards to Australia around 90,000 SkyMiles round-trip, so this is a significant discount, although we’ve seen lower prices to destinations Down Under. The sale appears to be available from cities nationwide, with many departure cities pricing between 64,000 and 70,000 miles round-trip. Most dates area available in May, although we’ve seen discounts in the summer and the fall.
Given how widespread this sale is, your best bet would be to head to Delta.com and search around for the route of your choice to see how it’s pricing. It’s unclear when the sale ends, so you’ll want to book soon to take advantage of the deal.
Routes: Many US cities to SYD
Cost: 64,000+ SkyMiles and $110 round-trip in economy
Purchase By: Feb. 21
Dates: Mostly May 2019, but other dates are available in the Fall
Booking Link: Directly with Delta
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel).
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Sydney (SYD) for 64,000 miles + $110 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Portland (PDX) to Sydney (SYD) for 64,000 miles + $116 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Denver (DEN) to Sydney (SYD) for 64,000 miles + $116 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Phoenix (PHX) to Sydney (SYD) for 64,000 miles + $116 in taxes and fees round-trip:
San Francisco (SFO) to Sydney (SYD) for 64,000 miles + $116 in taxes and fees round-trip:
New York (JFK) to Sydney (SYD) for 70,000 miles + $116 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Atlanta (ATL) to Sydney (SYD) for 70,000 miles + $116 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you don’t have enough SkyMiles in your account, consider signing up for one of the Delta credit cards to ensure you’re able to take advantage of a deal next time one pops up. For example, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express currently comes with a bonus of 30,000 bonus miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Terms Apply. Plus, this is a great card for defeating basic economy.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily ne wsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list//
Featured photo by Dan Freeman via Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees