Deal Alert: Delta Awards to Australia From 64,000 SkyMiles Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Delta hasn’t had a published award chart since February 2015, but it does offer award flash sales fairly regularly. Today flights to Sydney, Australia, are on sale from 64,000 SkyMiles round-trip.
Delta usually prices awards to Australia around 90,000 SkyMiles round-trip, so this is a significant discount, although we’ve seen lower prices to destinations Down Under. The sale appears to be available from cities nationwide, with many departure cities pricing between 64,000 and 70,000 miles round-trip. Most dates area available in May, although we’ve seen discounts in the summer and the fall.
Given how widespread this sale is, your best bet would be to head to Delta.com and search around for the route of your choice to see how it’s pricing. It’s unclear when the sale ends, so you’ll want to book soon to take advantage of the deal.
Routes: Many US cities to SYD
Cost: 64,000+ SkyMiles and $110 round-trip in economy
Purchase By: Feb. 21
Dates: Mostly May 2019, but other dates are available in the Fall
Booking Link: Directly with Delta
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel).
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Sydney (SYD) for 64,000 miles + $110 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Portland (PDX) to Sydney (SYD) for 64,000 miles + $116 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Denver (DEN) to Sydney (SYD) for 64,000 miles + $116 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Phoenix (PHX) to Sydney (SYD) for 64,000 miles + $116 in taxes and fees round-trip:
San Francisco (SFO) to Sydney (SYD) for 64,000 miles + $116 in taxes and fees round-trip:
New York (JFK) to Sydney (SYD) for 70,000 miles + $116 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Atlanta (ATL) to Sydney (SYD) for 70,000 miles + $116 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you don’t have enough SkyMiles in your account, consider signing up for one of the Delta credit cards to ensure you’re able to take advantage of a deal next time one pops up. For example, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express currently comes with a bonus of 30,000 bonus miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Terms Apply. Plus, this is a great card for defeating basic economy.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily ne wsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Featured photo by Dan Freeman via Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.