Deal alert: Fly to Zurich from major US cities for less than $500 round-trip next ski season
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Book within the next one to three days and score tickets to Zurich for ski season at ultra-discounted rates. Round-trip flights from New York City, Baltimore, Boston, San Francisco, Chicago and Washington, D.C., are available for less than $510.
Flights from Denver and Minneapolis to Zurich are also available for closer to $600.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airlines: Icelandair and TAP Air Portugal.
Routes: New York, Baltimore, Boston, Newark, San Francisco, Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver and Washington D.C., to Zurich.
How to book: Seach Google Flights and book directly with the airline.
Travel dates: September 2022 to April 2023; exact availability depends on the route.
Book by: One to three days.
Scott’s Cheap Flights was the first to point out this deal to us. Premium members pay $49 per year to get alerts for flights discounted up to 90%. You can try it out for free for 14 days. If you’re looking to get deal alerts for premium economy, business class and first class too, you can sign up to be an Elite member for $199 per year.
Most round-trip flights in this deal are less than $500. We’ve chosen to include flights from Minneapolis and Denver that are a little more expensive because it’s still a great deal for travelers located closer to those airports.
Flights starting at $478 to Zurich Airport (ZRH) are available from:
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK).
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI).
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS).
- Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR).
- Dulles International Airport (IAD).
- O’Hare International Airport (ORD).
San Francisco-based travelers can fly from San Francisco International Airport (SFO), starting at $507. Travelers can also book flights from both Minneapolis−St. Paul International Airport (MSP) and Denver International Airport (DEN) starting at $587.
Search Google Flights and take a look at the booking calendar for your desired route to make sure you’re getting the best rate. Choose your travel dates and flights accordingly.
For example, let’s say you want to book the aforementioned flight from ORD to ZRH, as shown below. Google Flights list the price as $446 because that is the cheapest option available, but we recommend booking directly through the airline’s website for $487.
Head directly to the airline’s website to book your flights.
You can view a breakdown of the flight charges by clicking on the box that lists the total price on the passenger information page.
The cheapest option available is Icelandair’s Economy Light fare, which does not include a checked bag or allow for changes to the flight. One carry-on item up to 22 pounds is included in the fare. Upgrading by one fare class to Economy Standard costs $60; in return, you’ll receive a checked bag and the ability to make changes (with applicable fees).
Economy Light fares are nonrefundable. However, Icelandair does offer a full refund without penalty if you cancel within 24 hours of booking when your reservation is made a week or more before the flight departure.
Icelandair has five fare options on international flights. Take a look at what features the other fares offer, as well as what extra charges are for additional services like checked baggage and seat selection, to decide what is best for you.
Maximize your purchase
Use a card that earns bonus points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express. This card earns 5 points per dollar on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year. With the Citi Premier® Card and Chase Sapphire Reserve you earn 3 points per dollar on airfare. When you book airfare using the American Express® Gold Card directly with the airline or through Amex Travel you earn 3 points per dollar. The Chase Sapphire Preferred Card earns 2 points per dollar on travel purchases. This post explains how to make the most of airfare purchases.
A deal that involves flights for less than $500 from major U.S. cities to Zurich during ski season (and a little longer) is a gift for ski bums. Even for those of us that don’t dabble on the slopes, a snowy Switzerland sounds like a fun winter getaway.
Flights for less than $600 from Denver and Minneapolis to Zurich are also rare.
If you want to take a trip to Europe in the fall or winter this is a great deal to take advantage of.
Featured photo by Daniel Frauchiger/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees