Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Flights to one of Asia’s hottest destination are on sale. You can fly from Atlanta (ATL), Minneapolis (MSP), Detroit (DTW), Los Angeles (LAX), Seattle (SEA), New York (JFK), San Francisco (SFO) and Chicago (ORD) to Hong Kong (HKG) from $422 round-trip.
Flights are on full-service carriers, so you’ll get a free checked bag and meal on your journey. While you’re there, check out the Peninsula Hong Kong — one of the nicest hotels in the world.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Orbitz or Expedia.
Airlines: Air Canada, Air China, Hainan, Xiamen
Routes: ATL/MSP/DTW/LAX/SEA/JFK/SFO/ORD to HKG
Cost: $422+ round-trip in economy
Travel Dates: February – April 2019
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Premier Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Booking Link: Priceline, Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $422 round-trip on Xiamen via Orbitz:
Atlanta (ATL) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $434 round-trip on Air Canada via Expedia:
Detroit (DTW) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $434 round-trip on Air Canada via Expedia:
San Francisco (SFO) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $497 round-trip on Air China via Expedia:
New York (JFK) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $509 round-trip on Air China via Expedia:
Chicago (ORD) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $622 round-trip on Hainan via Priceline:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
H/T: Thrifty Traveler
Featured image via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards