This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares might disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
These are some fantastic full-fare economy prices for peak summer travel times, with all three major carriers and some of their alliance partners offering sub-$500 round-trip fares to a number of popular destinations in Europe. The cheapest destination cities seem to be Madrid (MAD) and Barcelona (BCN), with widespread availability through the summer months.
Use Google Flights to search for the dates you want, and then book directly with the airline.
Airline: Air Canada, Air France, American, Delta KLM, United
Route: DFW/PHL/JFK/SFO/FLL/CLT/SEA/LAX/ATL/EWR to MAD/FCO/AMS/CPH/BCN/CDG
Cost: $373+ round-trip in coach
Dates: April – November 2018
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of dates you can book:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Madrid (MAD) on United for $373 round-trip in April/May:
Dallas Fort-Worth (DFW) to Madrid (MAD) on United for $397 round-trip in June:
Charlotte (CLT) to Barcelona (BCN) on Air Canada for $399 round-trip in June:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Rome (FCO) on United for $404 round-trip in May:
Seattle (SEA) to Paris (CDG) on American for $445 round-trip in October:
San Francisco (SFO) to Paris (CDG) on American for $445 round-trip in August:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Copenhagen (CPH) on United/Air Canada for $452 round-trip in September:
Newark (EWR) to Paris (CDG) on Air France/Delta for $452 round-trip in August:
Atlanta (ATL) to Amsterdam (AMS) on United for $457 round-trip in June:
New York (JFK) to Amsterdam (AMS) on KLM for $565 round-trip in July:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees