This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares might disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
These are some fantastic full-fare economy prices for peak summer travel times, with all three major carriers and some of their alliance partners offering sub-$500 round-trip fares to a number of popular destinations in Europe. The cheapest destination cities seem to be Madrid (MAD) and Barcelona (BCN), with widespread availability through the summer months.
Use Google Flights to search for the dates you want, and then book directly with the airline.
Airline: Air Canada, Air France, American, Delta KLM, United
Route: DFW/PHL/JFK/SFO/FLL/CLT/SEA/LAX/ATL/EWR to MAD/FCO/AMS/CPH/BCN/CDG
Cost: $373+ round-trip in coach
Dates: April – November 2018
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of dates you can book:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Madrid (MAD) on United for $373 round-trip in April/May:
Dallas Fort-Worth (DFW) to Madrid (MAD) on United for $397 round-trip in June:
Charlotte (CLT) to Barcelona (BCN) on Air Canada for $399 round-trip in June:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Rome (FCO) on United for $404 round-trip in May:
Seattle (SEA) to Paris (CDG) on American for $445 round-trip in October:
San Francisco (SFO) to Paris (CDG) on American for $445 round-trip in August:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Copenhagen (CPH) on United/Air Canada for $452 round-trip in September:
Newark (EWR) to Paris (CDG) on Air France/Delta for $452 round-trip in August:
Atlanta (ATL) to Amsterdam (AMS) on United for $457 round-trip in June:
New York (JFK) to Amsterdam (AMS) on KLM for $565 round-trip in July:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards