This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Already dreading this year’s winter? Break up the gray and gloom with a sunny visit to Southeast Asia that won’t cut into your comfort food budget. All of the deals below are available for around $500 or less round-trip, with most departing out of Los Angeles. Your best bet is to search Google Flights for desired dates, and then book through Expedia or Priceline.
Airline: Xiamen, China Eastern
Routes: LAX/SFO/JFK to MNL/BKK/SIN/CNX/DPS
Cost: $461+ round-trip in economy
Dates: August-November 2018 and January-March 2019
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline.
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
New York (JFK) to Manila (MNL) on Skyteam partner China Eastern Airlines for $461 round-trip via Expedia:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Bali Denpasar (DPS) on Skyteam partner Xiamen Airlines for $482 round-trip via Priceline:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Singapore (SIN) on Skyteam partner Xiamen Airlines for $483 round-trip via Expedia:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Bangkok (BKK) on Skyteam partner Xiamen Airlines for $503 round-trip via Priceline:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Chiang Mai, Thailand (CNX) on Skyteam partner China Eastern Airlines for $504 round-trip via Expedia:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Shutterstock.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards