This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Flights to Vietnam are on sale with departure cities across the US offering great fares. You can fly from the West Coast to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) and Hanoi (HAN) for as little as $466 round-trip, while flights from the East Coast start in the upper $500s. Availability is wide-open for flights from September 2018 through March 2019.
Vietnam is one of TPG’s favorite destinations. It’s a country with great cities and incredible natural wonders, like Ha Long Bay. Vietnam recently introduced an e-visa system, making it much easier to get access to the country.
Airline: ANA/Asiana/Hong Kong Airlines/United
Routes: LAX/IAD/DCA/ORD/SFO/SEA to HAN/SGN
Cost: $466 round-trip in economy
Dates: September-March 2019
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are some examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) for $466 round-trip in September:
San Francisco (SFO) to Ho Chi Minh (SGN) for $492 round-trip in October:
Washington DC (IAD) to Ho Chi Minh (SGN) for $570 round-trip in November:
Seattle (SEA) to Hanoi (HAN) for $613 round-trip in October via Orbitz:
Chicago (ORD) to Ho Chi Minh (SGN) for $621 round-trip in October:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Matteo Colombo / Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees