This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Flights to Vietnam are on sale with departure cities across the US offering great fares. You can fly from the West Coast to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) and Hanoi (HAN) for as little as $466 round-trip, while flights from the East Coast start in the upper $500s. Availability is wide-open for flights from September 2018 through March 2019.
Vietnam is one of TPG’s favorite destinations. It’s a country with great cities and incredible natural wonders, like Ha Long Bay. Vietnam recently introduced an e-visa system, making it much easier to get access to the country.
Airline: ANA/Asiana/Hong Kong Airlines/United
Routes: LAX/IAD/DCA/ORD/SFO/SEA to HAN/SGN
Cost: $466 round-trip in economy
Dates: September-March 2019
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are some examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) for $466 round-trip in September:
San Francisco (SFO) to Ho Chi Minh (SGN) for $492 round-trip in October:
Washington DC (IAD) to Ho Chi Minh (SGN) for $570 round-trip in November:
Seattle (SEA) to Hanoi (HAN) for $613 round-trip in October via Orbitz:
Chicago (ORD) to Ho Chi Minh (SGN) for $621 round-trip in October:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Matteo Colombo / Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards