This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
The Iceland fare war continues, with full-service carriers jumping on the price-slash competition launched by WOW and Icelandair a few weeks back. Most of the deals come from United, with some codeshare flights with Air Canada. As of the time of this post, we’re seeing widespread availability from a number of US cities on a wide range of dates. We suggest using Google Flights to find the dates you want, and then book directly through the airline. Please note that many of the available fares offered are United’s new basic economy fare class for transatlantic routes, so checked bags cost extra unless you upgrade to regular economy.
Airline: Air Canada, United, Lufthansa
Routes: PHL/MSP/DFW/EWR/IAD/BOS/PIT/CLE/JFK/SFO to KEF
Cost: $215+ roundtrip in economy
Dates: August–December 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Philadelphia (PHL) to Reykjavik (KEF) for $215 round-trip on United:
Minneapolis (MSP) to Reykjavik (KEF) for $220 round-trip:
Dallas (DFW) to Reykjavik (KEF) for $241 round-trip:
Newark (EWR) to Reykjavik (KEF) for $303 nonstop round-trip:
Washington Dulles (IAD) to Reykjavik (KEF) for $308 round-trip:
Boston (BOS) to Reykjavik (KEF) for $308 round-trip:
Pittsburgh (PIT) to Reykjavik (KEF) for $318 round-trip:
Cleveland (CLE) to Reykjavik (KEF) for $318 round-trip:
New York (JFK) to Reykjavik (KEF) for $387 round-trip:
San Francisco (SFO) to Reykjavik (KEF) for $414 round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Shutterstock.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees