This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
This is definitely the year to go to Europe! Once again, full-service carriers are competing to offer sub-$400 round-trip tickets to various popular cities across Europe, including Amsterdam, Oslo, Rome, Lisbon and Madrid. United and Star Alliance carriers seem to have the best options available from Newark (EWR), but American has a number of good deals from LAX and SFO.
Airline: American, United
Routes: EWR/SFO to LIS/FCO/OSL/MAD/AMS
Cost: $345+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September 2018 to February 2019
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Newark (EWR) to Amsterdam (AMS) for $345 round-trip in October in economy on United:
Newark (EWR) to Amsterdam (AMS) for $350 round-trip in September in economy on United:
Newark (EWR) to Lisbon (LIS) for $352 round-trip in November in economy on United:
San Francisco (SFO) to Oslo (OSL) for $371 round-trip in November/December in economy on United:
San Francisco (SFO) to Oslo (OSL) for $374 round-trip in January in economy on United:
Newark (EWR) to Lisbon (LIS) for $371 round-trip in October in economy on United:
Newark (EWR) to Madrid (MAD) for $407 round-trip in February in economy on United:
San Francisco (SFO) to Rome (FCO) for $442 round-trip in October in economy on American:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by Hilton Los Cabos.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards