This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you’ve been fantasizing about a tropical getaway, you’re in luck! We’re seeing flights to San José, Costa Rica from a handful of US cities from $284 round-trip. The discounted fares are being offered from July 2018 through April 2019, but be wary of Costa Rica’s rainy season that runs through November. Do note that most of the discounted fares offered by the three US legacy carriers are for basic economy — Copa Airlines, Panama’s flag carrier, doesn’t have basic economy. Remember that some airline co-branded credit cards can defeat the worst aspects of basic economy.
To find one of these bargains head to Google Flights and plug in your desired departure city. After finding dates that work best for you, book with the airline directly or with an OTA such as Expedia or Priceline.
Airline(s): American Airlines, Copa Airlines, Delta, United
Route: BWI/BOS/LAS/MIA/PIT/PVD/RDU/RIC/DCA/IAD to SJO
Cost: $284+ round-trip in economy
Dates: July 2018 – April 2019
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Baltimore (BWI) to San José (SJO) for $284 round-trip in October on Delta:
Boston (BOS) to San José (SJO) for $286 round-trip in September on Delta:
Miami (MIA) to San José (SJO) for $288 round-trip in August on Copa via Priceline:
Las Vegas (LAS) to San José (SJO) for $328 round-trip in December on Copa:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Gerardo Herrera / EyeEm / Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards