This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you’ve been fantasizing about a tropical getaway, you’re in luck! We’re seeing flights to San José, Costa Rica from a handful of US cities from $284 round-trip. The discounted fares are being offered from July 2018 through April 2019, but be wary of Costa Rica’s rainy season that runs through November. Do note that most of the discounted fares offered by the three US legacy carriers are for basic economy — Copa Airlines, Panama’s flag carrier, doesn’t have basic economy. Remember that some airline co-branded credit cards can defeat the worst aspects of basic economy.
To find one of these bargains head to Google Flights and plug in your desired departure city. After finding dates that work best for you, book with the airline directly or with an OTA such as Expedia or Priceline.
Airline(s): American Airlines, Copa Airlines, Delta, United
Route: BWI/BOS/LAS/MIA/PIT/PVD/RDU/RIC/DCA/IAD to SJO
Cost: $284+ round-trip in economy
Dates: July 2018 – April 2019
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Baltimore (BWI) to San José (SJO) for $284 round-trip in October on Delta:
Boston (BOS) to San José (SJO) for $286 round-trip in September on Delta:
Miami (MIA) to San José (SJO) for $288 round-trip in August on Copa via Priceline:
Las Vegas (LAS) to San José (SJO) for $328 round-trip in December on Copa:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Gerardo Herrera / EyeEm / Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees