Deal Alert: US Cities to Australia for $474+ Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you missed out on last week’s sub-$600 round-trip fares to Australia, consider this serendipitous luck: We’re now seeing round-trip fares to the country starting at $474 from the United States, and that even includes a few nonstop options from Los Angeles (LAX). Plus there’s a smattering of other airports with sub-$800 deals to Australia, including availability in the US summer when many kids are out of school.
In case you need more convincing, here’s our trip-spiration video about the state of Victoria.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Then, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airline: American Airlines, Delta, United, Virgin Australia
Routes: ATL/ABE/CLT/DTW/LAX/MIA/MSP/PHL/PDX/PHX/SLC/SFO/SJC/SEA and likely others to MEL/SYD/BNE
Cost: $474+ round-trip in economy
Dates: April through September 2019
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Melbourne (MEL) for $474 round-trip nonstop on United via Priceline:
Atlanta (ATL) to Sydney (SYD) for $677 round-trip on American Airlines via Priceline:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Sydney (SYD) for $677 round-trip on Delta via Priceline:
Miami (MIA) to Sydney (SYD) for $683 round-trip on Delta via Priceline:
Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP) to Sydney (SYD) for $677 round-trip on American Airlines via Priceline:
Seattle (SEA) to Sydney (SYD) for $672 round-trip on American Airlines via Priceline:
Charlotte (CLT) to Brisbane (BNE) for $680 round-trip on Delta via Priceline:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
When it comes to planning what you’ll do on the ground, we’ve got you covered. Check out a few of our Australia guides below.
- 8 Australian Islands You Probably Haven’t Heard of But Need to Visit
- 9 Things To Do on Your First Trip to Sydney
- Tip: Know How and When to Apply for Your Australia Visa
- 5 Must-Visit Wineries Between Sydney and Melbourne
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here.
Featured image by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees