Deal Alert: US Cities to Australia for $474+ Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you missed out on last week’s sub-$600 round-trip fares to Australia, consider this serendipitous luck: We’re now seeing round-trip fares to the country starting at $474 from the United States, and that even includes a few nonstop options from Los Angeles (LAX). Plus there’s a smattering of other airports with sub-$800 deals to Australia, including availability in the US summer when many kids are out of school.
In case you need more convincing, here’s our trip-spiration video about the state of Victoria.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Then, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airline: American Airlines, Delta, United, Virgin Australia
Routes: ATL/ABE/CLT/DTW/LAX/MIA/MSP/PHL/PDX/PHX/SLC/SFO/SJC/SEA and likely others to MEL/SYD/BNE
Cost: $474+ round-trip in economy
Dates: April through September 2019
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier Card (3x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Melbourne (MEL) for $474 round-trip nonstop on United via Priceline:
Atlanta (ATL) to Sydney (SYD) for $677 round-trip on American Airlines via Priceline:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Sydney (SYD) for $677 round-trip on Delta via Priceline:
Miami (MIA) to Sydney (SYD) for $683 round-trip on Delta via Priceline:
Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP) to Sydney (SYD) for $677 round-trip on American Airlines via Priceline:
Seattle (SEA) to Sydney (SYD) for $672 round-trip on American Airlines via Priceline:
Charlotte (CLT) to Brisbane (BNE) for $680 round-trip on Delta via Priceline:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare), Citi Premier Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
When it comes to planning what you’ll do on the ground, we’ve got you covered. Check out a few of our Australia guides below.
- 8 Australian Islands You Probably Haven’t Heard of But Need to Visit
- 9 Things To Do on Your First Trip to Sydney
- Tip: Know How and When to Apply for Your Australia Visa
- 5 Must-Visit Wineries Between Sydney and Melbourne
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here.
Featured image by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.