Deal Alert: US Cities to Africa From $531 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Africa is one of the most inaccessible regions for Americans to visit. There are very few US cities with direct service to destinations in Africa and even then, these routes are often served infrequently. If someone from the US wants to visit, for example, Cape Town, they will almost always have to connect in Europe often making two stops to get to their destination. In addition to braving long flights with multiple layovers, you’ll be shelling out thousands to fly round-trip in coach.
Luckily, there are some amazing deals available at the moment from multiple US cities to a variety of destinations across the continent of Africa, starting at just $531 round-trip. A few noteworthy destinations that usually grab the attention of tourists include Cairo, Cape Town, Johannesburg and Nairobi. However, other African cities are also included in this deal. All flights are in economy and include carry-on luggage. Both Oneworld and Star Alliance airlines are a part of these fantastic deals on airfare.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Africa is home to some of the most diverse wildlife and stunning nature preserves on the planet. If you’re looking for a more relaxed vacation, Cape Town is a great destination for beachgoers. Cairo is an ideal destination for travelers looking to dive into historical sites. Once you book your ticket, check out Get Your Guide’s list of best activities throughout Africa.
Airlines: Air Canada, British Airways, Brussels Airlines, Lufthansa, Swiss, United
Routes: Various US cities to ABJ/ABV/ACC/CAI/CPT/DAR/DLA/EBB/KGL/LOS/LFW/NBO/TUN
Cost: $531+ round-trip
Travel Dates: January – March
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline or via amextravel.com, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Cape Town (CPT) for $549 round-trip via multiple sites:
Austin (AUS) to Tunis (TUN) for $683 round-trip via Priceline:
New York (JFK) to Johannesburg (JNB) for $531 round-trip via United:
Washington-Dulles (IAD) to Nairobi (NBO) for $551 via United:
Baltimore (BWI) to Abuja (ABV) for $642 round-trip via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Alberto Riva/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.