This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For the latest travel news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for The Points Guy’s daily newsletter here!
Some would argue that United’s Economy Plus is what Economy should be, offering several more inches of legroom (exact amounts differ slightly per aircraft type) and the ability to deplane a bit faster given the forward placement of the seats. If you’ve been looking for a cheaper way to avoid standard economy seating, United is offering half off of Economy Plus purchases for this weekend only.
To take advantage of the 50% off sale, you’ll need to book a flight in United Economy departing between March 18 and March 31, 2019, or already have a flight booked in Economy within that timeframe. You’ll then be able to select your flight reservation and choose an Economy Plus seat. It’ll price at 50% off of the normal rate, no promo code required.
Previously purchased Economy Plus upgrades are not eligible for this promotion, and the offer is not valid on Basic Economy tickets. United and United Express flights are included, though you must complete the Economy Plus upgrade purchase at least 24 hours in advance of departure and no later than 11:59pm CDT on March 17, 2019.
If you selected United as your carrier of choice with an American Express card that offers an airline fee credit, the discounted upgrade would be an excellent use of that. As a reminder, the following cards award annual airline fee credits.
- Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express ($250)
- The Business Platinum® Card from American Express ($200)
- The Platinum Card® from American Express ($200)
- American Express® Gold Card ($100)
Unfortunately, this offer does not include Premium Plus, United’s version of international premium economy. For United elites who have grown accustomed to complimentary upgrades into Economy Plus, you may see a decline in those upgrades during this promotional period if the general public buys them up before they’re offered gratis.
Featured image by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards