This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Southwest just launched a flash sale which could help you save on your next getaway. With this sale, you can score both domestic and international fares from $49 one-way or $98 round-trip. The discounted fares are valid for travel from August 21, 2018 through February 13, 2019, including dates that could overlap with your holiday travel plans.
While the low fares will only stick around until August 16, you can still take advantage of the sale if you booked your flights before it launched. Thanks to Southwest’s incredibly generous no change fee policy, if the price of your previously purchased flights dropped, you can rebook your flights at the lower rates and be credited the difference. Plus, Southwest let’s you check two bags for free. Factors like these helped Southwest land the top spot in TPG’s 2018 Best Airlines for Families rankings.
Since Southwest’s fares don’t appear on Google Flights or OTAs like Expedia, your best bet for finding availability is by searching with Southwest’s flexible dates calendar and selecting the dates that work best for you. To see a list of the routes and cities eligible as part of this sale, check out this page.
JetBlue’s also running a flash sale, with fares starting at $34 one-way.
Routes: Domestic and international routes
Cost: $49+ one-way, $98+ round-trip in economy
Dates: August 2018 – February 2019
Booking Link: Southwest
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
San Francisco (SFO) to San Diego (SAN) in September for $49 one-way:
Portland (PDX) to Los Angeles (LAX) in September for $64 one-way:
Seattle (SEA) to San Jose (SJC) in October for $68 one-way:
Baltimore (BWI) to Boston (BOS) in November for $68 one-way:
Atlanta (ATL) to Columbus (CMH) in October for $69 one-way:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Cancun (CUN) in September for $96 one-way:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image courtesy of Marriott Cancun.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees