Deal Alert: Fly to San Francisco for under $200 one-way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American, Alaska Airlines, Delta and United Airlines are offering some good deals this winter for main cabin seats to San Francisco. Some nonstop, one-way flights from major cities are under $200. American and United fares are for main cabin seats which include carry-on and seat assignment.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Our friends at Thrifty Traveler let us know about the deals to the City by the Bay. If you are planning to visit, it’s good advice to be fully vaccinated. Over the summer San Francisco became the first major U.S. city to require proof of full vaccination for certain indoor activities for all those age 12 and older.
Airlines: American Airlines, United Airlines, Delta, Alaska Airlines
Routes: Los Angeles (LAX), New York (JFK), Chicago (ORD), Dallas (DFW), Chicago (ORD) and many more cities to San Francisco, California (SFO).
Cost: From $76-196 main cabin and economy class one-way.
Dates: Nov. 2021-Sept. 2022
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x on air travel, the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel — which you could redeem for as little as 13,000 points.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Major departure cities below (and many more) are included in one way-trip fare to San Francisco, California:
- New York City (JFK)
- Dallas (DFW)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Phoenix (PHX)
- Chicago (ORD)
- Seattle (SEA)
- Ontario (ONT)
- Miami (MIA)
The deal below shows a nonstop trip booked on American Airlines from New York to San Francisco from $77-122 (or 10,000-12,500 points + $5.60) in the first week of December.
Even if you’re already in California, you can still get away and explore other parts of the state. Fares from Los Angeles to San Francisco one-way range from $39 for economy seats, $59 for main cabin and $89 for first class in the first week of December.
The deal below is for a nonstop Chicago to San Francisco one-way flight on Dec. 4. Basic economy seats start at $89 with United Airlines.
How to Book
If you go to American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Delta or United’s official site, click one-way from a major departure city and airport to San Francisco International airport (SFO) and filter dates to travel in the window of November 2021-September 2022 to look for the best prices. You should be on your way to the Bay Area in no time.
Featured image by Ian.CuiYi/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees