This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Once again, Emirates is offering its popular round-trip deal to Europe from New York, on its fifth-freedom flights between New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) as well as from Newark (EWR) to Athens (ATH). Available dates begin in mid-September and are available through April 2019, with a lull over the holiday season. Do note that, even though these rates are cheaper than usual, they are pricier than past Emirates deals that have been offered – about $100 more expensive round-trip than last August’s JFK-Milan sale fare. You can use Google Flights to search for your dates. Most dates for the Milan route appear to be pricing at $504 on Google Flights, but will drop to $491 on the Emirates website. Fares can be held for 72 hours on the Emirates booking page.
Route: JFK to MXP, EWR to ATH
Cost: $491+ round-trip to Milan, $590+ round-trip to Athens
Dates: September – December 2018, January – April 2019
Booking Link: Emirates
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) for $491 round-trip in September:
New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) for $491 round-trip in October:
New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) for $491 round-trip in January:
New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) for $504 round-trip in March:
Newark (EWR) to Athens (ATH) for $590 round-trip in October:
Newark (EWR) to Athens (ATH) for $590 round-trip in November:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Featured image of Athens courtesy of Noel.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards