This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Once again, Emirates is offering its popular round-trip deal to Europe from New York, on its fifth-freedom flights between New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) as well as from Newark (EWR) to Athens (ATH). Available dates begin in mid-September and are available through April 2019, with a lull over the holiday season. Do note that, even though these rates are cheaper than usual, they are pricier than past Emirates deals that have been offered – about $100 more expensive round-trip than last August’s JFK-Milan sale fare. You can use Google Flights to search for your dates. Most dates for the Milan route appear to be pricing at $504 on Google Flights, but will drop to $491 on the Emirates website. Fares can be held for 72 hours on the Emirates booking page.
Route: JFK to MXP, EWR to ATH
Cost: $491+ round-trip to Milan, $590+ round-trip to Athens
Dates: September – December 2018, January – April 2019
Booking Link: Emirates
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) for $491 round-trip in September:
New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) for $491 round-trip in October:
New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) for $491 round-trip in January:
New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) for $504 round-trip in March:
Newark (EWR) to Athens (ATH) for $590 round-trip in October:
Newark (EWR) to Athens (ATH) for $590 round-trip in November:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Featured image of Athens courtesy of Noel.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees