Deal alert: Nonstop flights to Mexico starting at $154 round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re trying to fight off the winter chill, how do cheap flights to Mexico sound? We’re seeing flights from around the U.S. in cities like Washington (IAD), Charlotte (CLT) and San Francisco (SFO) to several cities in Mexico starting at $154 round-trip. Even better, most of the routes (except the Washington, D.C. area) are nonstop. Available dates are between January and May and are on airlines like VivaAerobus, United, Delta, and Aeromexico.
We first spotted the deals to Puerto Vallarta at Thrifty Traveler.
Note that virtually all of the tickets are in basic economy. On a U.S. airline, that generally means that you’ll pay to check a bag and pick your seat but there are ways to defeat aspects of basic economy by using a co-branded credit card.
Because you’re saving a ton of money on the flights, you should consider using points to pay for your stay in Mexico. For instance, the Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta is a steal at only 20,000 World of Hyatt points a night. The St. Regis Mexico City is a Category 6 in the Marriott Bonvoy award chart, meaning a five-night stay will cost you 200,000 points with the fifth-night free.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or an OTA like Orbitz or Expedia.
Airline: VivaAerobus, United, Delta, Aeromexico
Routes: JFK/LAX/CLT/IAH/SFO/IAD/DEN – GDL/SJD/PVR/MEX/CUN
Cost: $154+ round-trip in basic economy
Dates: January – May
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Guadalajara (GDL) for $154 round-trip nonstop on Viva Aerobus:
Charlotte (CLT) to Cancun (CUN) for $177 round-trip nonstop on VivaAerobus:
San Francisco (SFO) to Guadalajara (GDL) for $209 round-trip nonstop on Aeromexico via Vayama:
Houston (IAH) to Cabo San Lucas (SJD) for $241 round-trip nonstop on United:
Washington (IAD) to Puerto Vallarta (PVR) for $268 round-trip on Delta:
New York (JFK) to Mexico City (MEX) for $278 round-trip nonstop on VivaAerobus:
Denver (DEN) to Puerto Vallarta (PVR) for $288 round-trip nonstop on United:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.