Deal alert: Nonstop flights to Mexico starting at $154 round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re trying to fight off the winter chill, how do cheap flights to Mexico sound? We’re seeing flights from around the U.S. in cities like Washington (IAD), Charlotte (CLT) and San Francisco (SFO) to several cities in Mexico starting at $154 round-trip. Even better, most of the routes (except the Washington, D.C. area) are nonstop. Available dates are between January and May and are on airlines like VivaAerobus, United, Delta, and Aeromexico.
We first spotted the deals to Puerto Vallarta at Thrifty Traveler.
Note that virtually all of the tickets are in basic economy. On a U.S. airline, that generally means that you’ll pay to check a bag and pick your seat but there are ways to defeat aspects of basic economy by using a co-branded credit card.
Because you’re saving a ton of money on the flights, you should consider using points to pay for your stay in Mexico. For instance, the Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta is a steal at only 20,000 World of Hyatt points a night. The St. Regis Mexico City is a Category 6 in the Marriott Bonvoy award chart, meaning a five-night stay will cost you 200,000 points with the fifth-night free.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or an OTA like Orbitz or Expedia.
Airline: VivaAerobus, United, Delta, Aeromexico
Routes: JFK/LAX/CLT/IAH/SFO/IAD/DEN – GDL/SJD/PVR/MEX/CUN
Cost: $154+ round-trip in basic economy
Dates: January – May
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Guadalajara (GDL) for $154 round-trip nonstop on Viva Aerobus:
Charlotte (CLT) to Cancun (CUN) for $177 round-trip nonstop on VivaAerobus:
San Francisco (SFO) to Guadalajara (GDL) for $209 round-trip nonstop on Aeromexico via Vayama:
Houston (IAH) to Cabo San Lucas (SJD) for $241 round-trip nonstop on United:
Washington (IAD) to Puerto Vallarta (PVR) for $268 round-trip on Delta:
New York (JFK) to Mexico City (MEX) for $278 round-trip nonstop on VivaAerobus:
Denver (DEN) to Puerto Vallarta (PVR) for $288 round-trip nonstop on United:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees