This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Ultra low-cost carrier WOW Air is currently running a sale with dirt cheap fares from the US to Iceland starting at just $200 round-trip. Delta is responding with sub-$300 fares from New York City, and American Airlines is offering nonstop flights from its headquarters in Dallas/Fort Worth for just $417 round-trip.
Remember that WOW is a budget carrier, so you’ll have to pay extra for checked bags and seat selection. But still, with fares less than a transcontinental flight you’ll still save plenty. To save even more, check out our guide to booking hotels in Iceland with points.
You can search for your itinerary with Google Flights and then complete the booking with the airline itself.
Airline: WOW, Icelandair, Delta, American
Routes: PIT/BOS/CLE/EWR/ORD/BWI/DFW/JFK to KEF
Cost: $200+ roundtrip in economy
Dates: June-October 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Pittsburgh (PIT) to Reykjavik (KEF) nonstop for $200 round-trip:
Boston (BOS) to Reykjavik (KEF) nonstop for $220 round-trip:
Cleveland (CLE) to Reykjavik (KEF) nonstop for $220 round-trip:
Newark (EWR) to Reykjavik (KEF) nonstop for $230 round-trip:
Chicago (ORD) to Reykjavik (KEF) nonstop for $220 round-trip:
Baltimore (BWI) to Reykjavik (KEF) nonstop for $240 round-trip:
Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Reykjavik (KEF) nonstop for $260 round-trip:
Cleveland (CLE) to Reykjavik (KEF) nonstop for $288 round-trip:
Newark (EWR) to Reykjavik (KEF) nonstop for $296 round-trip:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to Reykjavik (KEF) nonstop for $298 round-trip:
Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Reykjavik (KEF) nonstop for $417 round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured image by Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees