Deal Alert: Nonstop Flights to Mainland Europe From $206 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
You may have heard the trick to saving money when booking flights is to book in a foreign currency. While that method hasn’t been as reliable recently, we are currently in a period when the US dollar is so strong against the Euro that there are some especially good deals right now if you don’t mind jumping through a hoop or two. Even better, this favorable currency exchange means your European vacation will be cheaper than usual.
For example, you can score a one-way from New York to Norway for $101 and the return for 849 Norwegian Krone (US$105), meaning you can fly nonstop to Europe for just $206 round-trip. Not interested in seeing the northern lights in Norway? You can fly round-trip nonstop from Newark to Paris for just €228 (US$260). Or, if you’re not interested in visiting Europe during winter, you can fly to sunny Spain in May for just $148 outbound plus €99 return, which means $262 total round-trip.
Since these purchases will be charged in foreign currencies, you’ll want to make sure to use a credit card that has no foreign transaction fees, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Sapphire Preferred Card or The Platinum Card® from American Express (See Rates & Fees).
For the Norwegian fares between New York’s Stewart and Bergen, the cheapest fares are found on:
- SWF-BGO: April 4 and 28 at $105 one-way; many dates from April 7 – June 23 at $115 one-way
- BGO-SWF: April 22, May 6, 13, 20 and June 3 at $101 one-way; many dates from April 29 – June 17 at $125 one-way
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airlines: Norwegian, LEVEL, TUI fly
Routes: SWF/EWR/BOS/MIA to BGO/ORY/MAD/BRU
Cost: $206+ round-trip
Travel Dates: December 2018 to May 2019 (depending on the route)
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Premier Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York Stewart (SWF) to Bergen, Norway (BGO) for $206 round-trip ($105 outbound + $101 return) on Norwegian:
Newark (EWR) to Paris Orly (ORY) for €228 (US$260) round-trip on LEVEL:
Boston (BOS) to Barcelona (BCN) for $262 round-trip ($148 outbound + $114 return) on LEVEL:
Miami (MIA) to Brussels (BRU) for €272 (US$311) round-trip on TUI Fly:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum Card, please click here.
Featured image by imv via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees