Deal Alert: New York to Berlin in Biz During Summer From $1,670 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Business class flights from New York to Germany are on sale once again, but this time SkyTeam enthusiasts will have options to fly to the German capital too.
You can fly from Newark (EWR) or New York (JFK) to Berlin on British Airways for as little as $1,670 round-trip by stacking the sale prices, the British Airways AARP discount and Chase’s Visa British Airways discount. For all the details on how to do that, I’ll refer you to JT Genter’s recent deal alert post that described the step by step process on how to get these great deals that can be solid mileage runs.
However, what’s new in this post is that SkyTeam carriers like Delta, Air France and KLM all have dropped fares between New York and Berlin — making for a possible mileage run when booking through a partner. Also, you can easily save even more if you have the The Platinum Card® from American Express or The Business Platinum Card® from American Express and book through Amex’s International Airline Program, which is now bookable online through Amex Travel.
Here’s an example of how one of the fares on a Delta partner (Air France, Alitalia and KLM) could be turned into a mileage run for Delta flyers chasing elite status. For instance, if you book a round-trip Alitalia flight from New York to Berlin with a stop in Rome for $2,035, you’ll earn 4,018 MQDs and 15,066 MQMs. That’s more than double the MQDs a nonstop fare between JFK and Berlin Tegel (TXL) booked through Delta would be. And if you want to fly nonstop, you could still book that Delta flight through Air France or KLM and earn about 3,174 MQDs.
To search, head to Priceline or Expedia. If you have the Platinum or Biz Platinum card, head over to Amex Travel and book there to receive the AIP discount. Read here how to book the British Airways fares.
Airline: American Airlines, British Airways, Iberia, Aer Lingus, Delta, KLM, Air France
Routes: JFK/EWR to TXL
Cost: $1,670+ round-trip in business
Dates: July 2019 – March 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Newark (EWR) to Berlin (TXL) for $1,670 round-trip on British Airways with AARP and Chase discount:
New York (JFK) to Berlin (TXL) for $1,923 round-trip nonstop on Delta via Amex IAP:
New York (JFK) to Berlin (TXL) for $1,969 round-trip on Delta/Air France (codeshare flight) via Amex IAP:
New York (JFK) to Berlin (TXL) for $2,070 round-trip nonstop on Delta:
New York (JFK) to Berlin (TXL) for $2,100 round-trip on Iberia via AA.com:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline), or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees