Deal Alert: Last-Minute Weekend Getaways From $49 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Looking to explore some place new this weekend, but can’t bear the thought of high last-minute prices? Well, you’re in luck because these low-cost carriers have great last-minute deals to a lot of big cities, as well as many smaller ones. Whether you’re in the mood for a wild weekend somewhere like New Orleans or looking to get in touch with nature in Missoula, Montana, there’s a good variety in this week’s deal destinations.
As we mentioned last week, this is a bit different from most deals we post — typically, we try to stay away from low-fare carriers. However, we wanted to have some fun with this one, and you might too, if you’re willing to take a spontaneous vacation.
If you’re a business-class-only flyer, these fares probably aren’t for you. But if you’re an adventurous reader aching to go on a trip and willing to pack light, check out these last-minute deals. Be aware of extra fees and restrictions — low-fare airlines like Frontier and Sun Country all charge extra to choose your seat and to bring a large carry-on bag.
Although these low-fare carriers tend to get a bad rap, you may end up pleasantly surprised like TPG himself when he flew Spirit — and he didn’t even fly the Big Front Seat! The same goes for Sun Country and Frontier. Bottom line: if you’re in the market for cheap tickets and want to get away as soon as this weekend, this is the way to go.
If our example dates and times don’t fit your schedule, play around with the dates on Google Flights as there are often other times available for a little more. All of the routes listed have flights available under $150 between August 8-12. This week we even managed to find some great deals on legacy carriers like American and Delta.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin, destination and stopover cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airline Spirit, Sun Country, Frontier, Delta, American, Allegiant
Routes: JAN/DEN/LAS/ORD//MDW/MSY/RDU/ATL/BNA/GRR/COS/IND/MSP/CHS/PHL/MCO/SAT to MEM/IND/AUS/DAL/MCO/SAT/SAV/PHL/COS/BWI/MDW/DEN/JAX/RDU/MYS/MSO/LAX/MRY/COS/ABQ/ATL/SFO/SLC/PHX/LAS (many available on the reverse route)
Cost: $49+ round-trip
Travel Dates: August 8-12, 2019
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Jackson (JAN) to Orlando (MCO) for $49 round-trip on Frontier:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Colorado Springs (COS) for $49 round-trip on Frontier:
Denver (DEN) to New Orleans (MSY) for $63 round-trip on Spirit:
Orlando (MCO) to Indianapolis (IND) for $63 round-trip on Spirit:
New Orleans (MSY) to Orlando (MCO) for $62 round-trip when booked separately on Spirit and Frontier:
Minneapolis (MSP) to Austin (AUS) for $83 round-trip when booked separately on Frontier and Sun Country:
Austin (AUS) to Atlanta (ATL) for $84 round-trip on Spirit:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Monterey (MRY) for $89 round-trip on Allegiant:
Raleigh (RDU) to Baltimore (BWI) for $95 round-trip on Spirit:
Colorado Springs (COS) to San Antonio (SAT) for $97 round-trip on Frontier:
Nashville (BNA) to Savannah (SAV) for $103 round-trip on Allegient:
Grand Rapids (GRR) to Savannah (SAV) for $11 round-trip on Allegiant:
Charleston (CHS) to Indianapolis (IND) for $119 round-trip on Allegient:
Philadelphia (PHL to Memphis (MEM) for $123 round-trip on American: Raleigh (RDU) to Chicago (MDW) for $123 round-trip on Delta:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Missoula (MSO) for $136 round-trip on Allegiant:
Chicago (ORD) to New Orleans (MSY) for $138 round-trip on American: Atlanta (ATL) to Colorado Springs (COS) for $147 round-trip on Frontier:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by f11photo/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees