Deal alert: Cheap redemptions to Hawaii for under 20,000 miles round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve recently seen many Hawaii deals that are too hard to pass up, with fares under $200 round-trip from various airlines. While these are phenomenal, United is currently offering some of these same flights for 9,100 MileagePlus miles one-way or 18,200 miles total. If you want to save your cash and burn your points and miles for incredibly low prices to Hawaii, here’s how to do it.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airline: United Airlines.
Routes: Los Angeles (LAX), Orange County (SNA) and San Francisco (SFO) to Honolulu (HNL).
Cost: 9,100 miles one-way (plus $5.60 in taxes and fees) or 18,200 miles round-trip (plus $11.20 in taxes and fees).
Dates: October to December 2021.
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x on air travel, the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
United makes it easy to find deals, both with cash and with your MileagePlus miles. On United’s homepage, check off both “Book with miles” and “Flexible dates” in the upper right corner to find the lowest award prices in the calendar viewfinder.
For example, there’s plenty of availability for a one-way flight from LAX to HNL around the holidays.
If you need to top off your MileagePlus balance, Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Sapphire Reserve cardholders can transfer Ultimate Rewards points instantly at a 1:1 rate. Since transfers occur in 1,000-point increments, you’ll need just 10,000 Ultimate Rewards points one-way or 20,000 points for a round-trip booking.
How to book
There are no special codes needed to find these fares. Just visit United’s website to conduct a search of your own using MileagePlus miles.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns additional points on the remaining taxes and fees, such as The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or Amex Travel, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), American Express Gold Card (3x on flights booked directly with airlines or Amex Travel), Citi Premier Card (3x on air travel) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by Timur Alexandrov/EyeEm/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees