Deal Alert: Fly to Fiji and Australia for $533 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Last week, flight prices to Fiji dropped to just $597 round-trip — a deal good enough for TPG to issue a deal alert. Those fares have disappeared, with the cheapest fares on that round-trip now costing $838. But today we are seeing an even better deal. Travelers now have the opportunity to visit both Fiji and Australia for just $533 round-trip.
The underlying fare is a round-trip between Los Angeles and Sydney, Australia on Fiji Airways for $533 round-trip — and you can book just that simple round-trip if you’d wish. However, rather than making an immediate connection onward, why not stop in Fiji for a few days to visit the South Pacific islands?
For the cheapest price, you’ll likely need to select Monday or Tuesday as both your outbound date from the US and the return date from the South Pacific. Also, most flight options are limited to only a few days in Fiji.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Then, for the cheapest price, click through to book through Expedia.
Airlines: Fiji Airways
Routes: LAX/SFO to SYD/BNE/MEL/ADL — with a stop in NAN on the outbound or return
Cost: $533+ round-trip
Travel Dates: August to December 2019
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Nani, Fiji (NAN) to Sydney, Australia (SYD) for $533 round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Nani, Fiji (NAN) to Brisbane, Australia (BNE) for $534 round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Nani, Fiji (NAN) to Melbourne, Australia (MEL) for $570 round-trip via Priceline:
San Francisco (SFO) to Nani, Fiji (NAN) to Sydney, Australia (SYD) for $614 round-trip:
San Francisco (SFO) to Nani, Fiji (NAN) to Brisbane, Australia (BNE) for $614 round-trip:
San Francisco (SFO) to Nani, Fiji (NAN) to Adelaide, Australia (ADL) for $748 round-trip via Priceline:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Christopher Chan via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees